What's new

Solved AC-68U System GUI hanging with 386.2_4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Meppy

New Around Here
I tried to update the router from the iPhone app and it failed. So I rebooted it and then downloaded and installed the firmware manually.

All seemed to go ok, but now I have a problem where when I go to Administration -> System to start setting up HTTPS, it just hangs with a lank screen and a never ending spinning icon.

I just tried to upload and re-install the firmware again and it's stuck saying "Please wait, Applying Settings..." The LAN and Internet are still working fine, but the Admin GUI is busted again (requires a power cycle) as is evidenced by the fact I can post this but not access the GUI.

Do I just need to reset my settings and start again? Is the router toast? I couldn't see anything in the debug logs that jumped out as an issue.

What's a good upgrade router for this model if I need a new one?

Seems to be getting worse. Just navigating to a few pages in the admin UI and it eventually hangs. I am going to try a factory reset. Only thing I have noticed since is that every time it reboots the date and time goes back to May 5 at 3:05 pm.

Edit: factory reset failed to make any difference. Still hangs after navigating the UI for a little bit. Guess I have a bricked router?

Last edited:
I do not have any challenge with RMerlin 386.2_4 on AC68U
You can try to load one more time software using ASUS Firmware Restoration or via miniCFE

Try a hard reset if it hasn't been tried yet. Do the hard reset, reflash the merlin firmware, then do the hard reset again and see if the issue persists. Disconnect all other devices, but the one computer doing the flashing of the firmware, from the router. Flash the firmware using a computer's web browser not some "app" on a mobile device. Router may take upwards of 10 minutes to settle down post firmware update (this is mentioned in the Merlin firmware change log somewhere).

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

Not sure which version you are upgrading the firmeware from - but if it's before 386.2 then it may take quite some time for the GUI to become responsive as there is some database maintenance going on... On mine it took about an hour. See the release notes for more details.

Not sure which version you are upgrading the firmeware from - but if it's before 386.2 then it may take quite some time for the GUI to become responsive as there is some database maintenance going on... On mine it took about an hour. See the release notes for more details.
Thanks, I think that must have been it. Once I left it alone for a while it seems to have come right and is working well again now. Phew. Thanks for the tip.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!