What's new

Merlin for Asus DSL AC 68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robbsafc

New Around Here
I am attempting to replace the Firmware on my Asus DSL AC 68U (which is currently 3.0.0.4.386_50117). I want to put Merlin back on it.
asus.JPG

I have tried to do a manual firmware update several times without success. The file I am using is from github (https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng) and is the appropriate file for the DSL AC 68U. I have tried doing a reset before doing a firmware update, both soft and hard reset. Am I missing something? I have tried to restore the original firmware using the relevant Asus firmware but cannot get that to manually update either.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. That is where I have the file from that I am trying to put onto the router. However when I select Administration then Manual Firmware Upload, it goes to applying settings then back to the sign-in page for the router. It doesn't actually write the firmware.
settings.JPG

Sorted it out now. I firstly tried an official Asus firmware and that wouldn't upload to the router. In the end I downgraded the Asus firmware using the Firmware restoration procedur and then attempted to upload Merlin to it, still no joy. In the end I used the Firmware Restoration procedure to install the latest version of Merlin onto my DSL AC68U. All appears to be working fine now. Seems a bit strange I cannot upload firmware by logging into the router and entering administration settings. It will only accept a different Firmware using the Restoration Procedure.
Merlin.JPG

Sorted it out now. I firstly tried an official Asus firmware and that wouldn't upload to the router. In the end I downgraded the Asus firmware using the Firmware restoration procedur and then attempted to upload Merlin to it, still no joy. In the end I used the Firmware Restoration procedure to install the latest version of Merlin onto my DSL AC68U. All appears to be working fine now. Seems a bit strange I cannot upload firmware by logging into the router and entering administration settings. It will only accept a different Firmware using the Restoration Procedure.View attachment 52409

Likely because the AC68U variants have NVRAM limitations that require Merlin 386.11 followed by a hard factory reset or running of the included script.

In order for it to take the firmware you may need to factory reset before uploading the firmware.

Note Merlin/Gnuton are not the same thing, Gnuton is a fork/modified version. 386.10 is not the latest Merlin.

However not sure if standard merlin will work on the DSL (I think it will but most references are to Gnuton).

If you can't run 386.11 regular merlin (with the decreased NVRAM requirement) then run 386.7_2 or earlier. The ones in between have issues on 68U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!