What's new

AC-87u - 380.57 Cannot Block Google DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

z0ki

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys. I have updated my RT-AC87u to the latest firmware and I have noticed I cannot block Google's DNS to use my chromecast.

As you can see from the picture below I get an error. Can someone tell me how I can bypass this and enter 8.8.*.* like before?

THFCXHk.jpg

Did you try using CIDR format?

8.8.0.0/16

should be equivalent
Would I apply this entry twice as before with one being TCP ALL and the other UDP?

Colin, yes thank you for letting me know. I sent that originally with tapatalk which it didnt seem to go through but clearly it did.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

@john9527

Thanks a lot mate! This did the trick! Given you a like mate!

Thanks again :)

Though, I am noticing that now the Netflix app will not load now

Though, I am noticing that now the Netflix app will not load now

In some platform, the Netflix app has hardcoded Google's public IPv4 DNS servers - so blocking google DNS breaks the app...

In some platform, the Netflix app has hardcoded Google's public IPv4 DNS servers - so blocking google DNS breaks the app...
Not entirely true. I have just reverted back to an older merlin version and ASUS official and i can enter 8.8.*.* TCP ALL followed by 8.8.*.* and Netflix works 100% along with some apps i use to stream sports to my chromecast.

So it is something with the latest firmware. So it seems anyway. If i use 8.8.0.0/16 it doesnt work.

Not entirely true. I have just reverted back to an older merlin version and ASUS official and i can enter 8.8.*.* TCP ALL followed by 8.8.*.* and Netflix works 100% along with some apps i use to stream sports to my chromecast.

So it is something with the latest firmware. So it seems anyway. If i use 8.8.0.0/16 it doesnt work.

Maybe it wasn't really working with the *.* format?

Maybe it wasn't really working with the *.* format?
It was though this is why I am baffled as to why merlin changed how it works in his latest fw.

Doing it the way I have always done allows me to use the chromecast with apps that are only designed to work in the US. I use a DNS service to access the US Netflix along with some sporting apps that will work by blocking goohle DNS for the Chromecast. The new way doesn't seem to work with the apps and chromecast but doing it via 8.8.*.* works.

Very odd to say the least

What code level are you using that seems to work? I'll try and find some time to take a look at what it was doing vs the CIDR format.

No, sorry for not being clearer.....what firmware level is working for you? 378.55? 378.56_2?
Oh.

Currently I am back on the latest official ASUS firmware version which is

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.378_9460

Though the older merlin firmware versions prior to the need of CIDR all worked before.

Wouldn't it be better to redirect everything to your local DNS server, instead of blocking?
Maybe some stuff won't break, but maybe some things won't fail gracefully if they can't access their hard-coded dns.

Upstream from me my internet is filtered through DNS, so I run dnscrypt to get around it. Since the chromecast is hard coded, it was bypassing my local DNS, and getting redirected and blocked by the upstream's DNS. So instead I run this script to intercept all local DNS queries and force it to use my local DNS server with its dnscrypt upstream. Now I can stream all content with chromecast despite upstream DNS filtering.

Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1

Not sure what editing this might need for RMerlin firmware though.