What's new

AC at 2.4 GHz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rotareneg

Occasional Visitor
Not sure if this is a bug in the wifi drivers (which I know are a closed box) or maybe just an UI glitch, but my phone, a Moto G Pure, gets reported by the router as connecting at AC rates on 2.4 GHz. Router is an RT-AC66U B1 running Merlin 386.5_2.

Code:
SSID: "xx_2.4GHz"
noise: -89 dBm    Channel: 6
BSSID: 04:D9:xx:xx:xx:xx    Capability: ESS ShortPre ShortSlot RRM
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]
VHT Capable:
    Chanspec: 2.4GHz channel 6 20MHz (0x1006)
    Primary channel: 6
    HT Capabilities:
    Supported HT MCS : 0-23
    VHT Capabilities:
    Supported VHT (tx) Rates:
        NSS: 1 MCS: 0-9
        NSS: 2 MCS: 0-9
        NSS: 3 MCS: 0-9
    Supported VHT (rx) Rates:

Interference Level: Acceptable
Mode    : AP Only

Stations List                          
----------------------------------------
idx MAC               Associated Authorized   RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
    D8:CF:xx:xx:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -38dBm ac  No  Yes Yes    86.7M   86.7M     00:32:53
    64:89:xx:xx:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -46dBm n   Yes Yes Yes       1M      1M     00:33:54

SSID: "xx_5GHz"
noise: -92 dBm    Channel: 149/80
BSSID: 04:D9:xx:xx:xx:xx    Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
VHT Capable:
    Chanspec: 5GHz channel 155 80MHz (0xe09b)
    Primary channel: 149
    HT Capabilities:
    Supported HT MCS : 0-23
    VHT Capabilities:
    Supported VHT (tx) Rates:
    Supported VHT (rx) Rates:

Interference Level: Acceptable
Mode    : AP Only

Stations List                          
----------------------------------------
idx MAC               Associated Authorized   RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time

I don't normally use 2.4 GHz, I was just checking something when I noticed this happening and was a bit confused since, as far as I know, AC is 5 GHz only.

Ah, I think I figured it out: TurboQAM was enabled on the 2.4 GHz Wireless - Professional settings on the router, so apparently the phone can use that on 2.4 GHz while my tablet, a Galaxy Tab A, SM-T510, doesn't.

Ah, I think I figured it out: TurboQAM was enabled on the 2.4 GHz Wireless - Professional settings on the router, so apparently the phone can use that on 2.4 GHz while my tablet, a Galaxy Tab A, SM-T510, doesn't.
I never really understood why TurboQAM existed, and I never saw it used in a phone/tablet. I do have wireless adapters from Asus and they support 256-QAM, but why don't I just use the faster 5 GHz?

TurboQAM is the introduction of 256-QAM of 5 GHz into 2.4 GHz, which means that any device that supports TurboQAM must support 5 GHz, but if it supports 5 GHz, why not use the 433 Mbps that 5 GHz can provide?

256-QAM means having to be very close to the router, so there is no 5 GHz signal attenuated to unusable within the range of 256-QAM.

Another point is that the BCM4360 radio chip used by the RT-AC66U_B1 supports 256-QAM, but in order to avoid the same rate as the more powerful RT-AC68U (AC1900), they have 256-QAM disabled (AC1750). So I guess their new version of the driver has lifted this restriction, so RT-AC66U_B1 is also an AC1900-level router now?

Okay, so maybe I need a primer on this! Previously a couple of Motorola phones here an E4 Plus and a G8 power (both now replaced) used to connect "AC" on 2.4GHz, along with a couple of Reolink Argus 3 (much further away) cams that would occasionally connect as AC but mostly as "N" clients.
I thought QAM had to do with a crafty way of encoding data in a pair of waves that 90 degrees out of phase, so I'm missing how this would only work on a 2.4GHz if the bandwidth is 40MHz? I was under the impression that the two waves are on the same frequency just phase-shifted by 90 degrees?

N normally uses up to 64-QAM, 256-QAM just uses smaller differences in phase and amplitude, meaning it's more sensitive to interference but can squeeze a bit more data into the same bandwidth.