What's new

AC RT-87U sporadically quits

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

inPicton

Regular Contributor
Am running 380.57. Have been having this issue for several months. Desktop connected via Ethernet. WiFi is also unavailable. When I run the troubleshooting utility, get message: 1 or network protocols are missing on this computer.

Then I run these steps that I found in this article online:

I ran the link to the troubleshooter at end, it couldn't find any issues.

I did not reboot the router during any of the following changes. I wanted to see if making changes at the computer would fix the issue. It did not. Unplugging the router for 15 minutes did fix the issue. However, I expect that it will happen again, as in the past.

Having done all of the steps below, rebooting the computer, did not fix the issue.

I'm sorry that it's so long.

Regards, Paul.

+++++++++++

"Windows Cannot Automatically Detect this Networks Proxy Settings" since Windows 10 Upgrade"
OK, so I have been on Windows Answers Chat and have a Ref #....I have spent 2 hours on the phone with my ISP...I have tried all of the offered fixes on all the chat boards and communities (I've been in an Elevated Command prompt so many times it makes my head spin)....I've changed settings and changed them back....I've reset all of my networks and network adapters ad nauseum...and I've used special settings from my ISP to try to bypass the issue.....

Yet, for all of this every computer in the house that has been upgraded to Windows 10 offers the same error message and is so slow or simply won't connect to the internet. I can get to the networks just fine...just can't consistently get to the internet. Even bought a brand new Asus super duper wifi router to no avail.

I am now at a complete loss and wondering what can be done to be able to get to the internet at consistent good speed with Windows 10 and not consistently get the error message above when I troubleshoot. When is Microsoft going to fix this issue. It gets worse with every update. Are there any work arounds that can at least allow me to be productive because right now it isn't good.

29 people had this question
Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps:

Method 1: Check for proxy server settings.

1. Press Windows key + R to open Run Command. Type "inetcpl.cpl" and press Enter.

2. In Internet Options Window, go to Connections tab.

3. Click on LAN Settings.

4. Do the following steps:

• Uncheck the box Use Proxy Server for your LAN.
  • Check the box Automatically Detect settings.
Method 2: Type the following command.

1. Press Windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Elevated Command Prompt. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)
  2. Type the following command.
  • Type netsh winsock reset and click Enter.
  • Type netsh int ipv4 resetand click Enter.
Once you have type the command then exit Command Prompt

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario

2 people found this helpful
Jesinta:

In addition, I have performed the following to no avail:

Method 1

Disable Proxy Connection

I suggest you to disable the proxy connection and check:

1. Click the Gear box at the top right corner in internet explorer.

2. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

4. Uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN.
Method 2

Resetting TCP/IP and check.

1. Press Windows key + X.

2. Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

3. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note: If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

4. Reboot the computer and check the issue.

Method 3

Flush your computer's DNS cache.

3. At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press Enter after each command.
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /releases
ipconfig /renew

Method 4

Turn off taskoffload to improve network performance. Open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands.

3. At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press Enter after each command:
netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Again, I ask, when will Microsoft fix this obvious bug in Windows 10 or provide guidance that works?

Mark Branaman

6 people found this helpful
I now have this problem with Windows 10 and tried all of the above to no avail. Is there any further guidance available?

UPDATE: Following a Windows update this issue seems to have resolved itself in my case, and my internet access and speed is back to normal, however the error is still picked up when I run the troubleshooter.

UDATE 2 - 20 Oct 2015: Still the same issue: internet access very intermittent and error identified as "Windows cannot automatically detect network proxy settings". Having contacted the Microsoft Support Answer Desk online they advised me to run the troubleshooter: http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg68309

1 person found this helpful

Method 1: Check for proxy server settings.

1. Press Windows key + R to open Run Command. Type "inetcpl.cpl" and press Enter.

2. In Internet Options Window, go to Connections tab.

3. Click on LAN Settings.

4. Do the following steps:

• Uncheck the box Use Proxy Server for your LAN.
  • Check the box Automatically Detect settings.
In this step, Uncheck both boxes (leave no boxes checked)....problem dating back to Windows 7.

Thanks, John. I'm glad that you included, "leave no boxes unchecked."

I thought that I had it fixed having gone through that long dissertation because all was okay for nearly a week.

I'm wondering, though, why does that make the router shut down?

I have also programmed it to re-boot everyday @ 4:00 am.

Regards, Paul.

Thanks, John. I'm glad that you included, "leave no boxes unchecked."
I hope that's a typo :).....should be 'leave no boxes checked' (everything unchecked).

I don't think it makes the router shut down....it just breaks the communication from Windows to the router where Windows is looking for a proxy that it thinks is there, but really isn't. Why the problem can show up all of a sudden, I've never seen an explanation.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!