What's new

AC3100 Wifi disconnects randomly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JamesH

New Around Here
I'm a bit a noob when it comes to Networking so bare with me here.

A few weeks back i updated my router with a custom firmware from Merlin 386.2_4

My lan speeds and performance definitely improved and so did my wifi connections.

But since then after a few days my wifi disconnects random devices around the house on the 2.4 networks. Only temporary remedy is to turn off the wifi and back on again or restart the router.

When I flashed the firmware I made sure to factory reset the router because it was advised to do so.

I have around 17 devices on wifi with more than half on the 2.4ghz network. My 5ghz network doesn't seem affected by this issue. Before the cfw i did not have this issue.

Any idea what could be causing this or a suggestion how to fix it?
Any help would well appreciated, thank you.

I'm a bit a noob when it comes to Networking so bare with me here.

A few weeks back i updated my router with a custom firmware from Merlin 386.2_4

My lan speeds and performance definitely improved and so did my wifi connections.

But since then after a few days my wifi disconnects random devices around the house on the 2.4 networks. Only temporary remedy is to turn off the wifi and back on again or restart the router.

When I flashed the firmware I made sure to factory reset the router because it was advised to do so.

I have around 17 devices on wifi with more than half on the 2.4ghz network. My 5ghz network doesn't seem affected by this issue. Before the cfw i did not have this issue.

Any idea what could be causing this or a suggestion how to fix it?
Any help would well appreciated, thank you.
That is a very similar issue with some RT-AC86U's too:
@Ironic77 did mention in that other thread that he had the same issue with an 88(U) also, which he attributed to high temps.

After being a problem for me for about a week, the problem disappeared. Dunno what caused it or why it stopped being a problem (for now).

Last edited:
These are my current temps i found on the router site. Not sure if its high or not when it comes to routers.

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 145
Normal.

A new firmware update was available but the issue is still persisting. Turning off and on the wifi is the only thing that fixes it for a day.

I have two AC3100's in Aimesh setup. I was able to fix my 2.4ghz band by changing to the following settings. I was getting disconnects with the latest firmware 386.2_4 and these settings have been stable for the last few days. Props to L&LD and his guides.

Channel: 1, 6, or 11
Wireless mode: auto
Channel Bandwidth: 20

Preamble type: short
Airtime Fairness: disable
Multi-User MIMO: disable
Explicit Beamforming: disable
Universal Beamforming: disable

After your firmware upgrade what steps did you perform? Be sure to clear NVRAM and check the initialize box via the gui.

Last edited:
I have two AC3100's in Aimesh setup. I was able to fix my 2.4ghz band by changing to the following settings. I was getting disconnects with the latest firmware 386.2_4 and these settings have been stable for the last few days. Props to L&LD and his guides.

Channel: 1, 6, or 11
Wireless mode: auto
Channel Bandwidth: 20

Preamble type: short
Airtime Fairness: disable
Multi-User MIMO: disable
Explicit Beamforming: disable
Universal Beamforming: disable

After your firmware upgrade what steps did you perform? Be sure to clear NVRAM and check the initialize box via the gui.

I tried with those settings and also resetting/initializing the box. Not sure where the nvram option is so I just unplugged the router for some time.

The problem still persisting. I think I might just switch everything onto the 5gz untill fix is available.

I'll keep doing more research. Thanks for all tht help

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!