What's new

AC3200 and 2.4Ghz issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I actually wonder if it has something to do with the fact that most routers have 2 bands (1 2.4ghz and 1 5ghz) but this router has 3 (1 2.4ghz and 2 5ghz) so when the routine for after it crashes it executes the 2 bands routine. I am wildly speculating here.

Do you set channel to ‘auto’?

Edit: Doesn’t sound like a too far fetched guess, but I think you are the only owner of a tri-band router that is experiencing this symptom (I think). Or maybe other owners just aren’t as attentive like you since several reported that their 2.4 Ghz interface (instead of one of the 5Ghz) disappearing.

Last edited:
Do you set channel to ‘auto’?

Edit: Doesn’t sound like a too far fetched guess, but I think you are the only owner of a tri-band router that is experiencing this symptom (I think). Or maybe other owners just aren’t as attentive like you since several reported that their 2.4 Ghz interface (instead of one of the 5Ghz) disappearing.

I think some have responded either in this thread or another one that they had similar behavior.
I used to have channel set to auto, but someone said that interferences can cause issues so i switched it to channel 1.

An observation.

I have found both scheduled reboot, & scheduled wireless on/off, to be problematic across all firmwares for a while now. Merlin & OE.

Typical issues: reboot happens but wifi dead, or reboots & router powers down totally.

Wireless scheduling: will work happily for a few days, then gives up altogether. A reboot brings it back to life, then, it just fades again.

I saw that here too with my rt-ac86 and 384.5 final with only scheduled reboot (did not use scheduled wireless on/off)

So the NVRAM settings are changing. That's probably a bug. Although on a side note, I would seriously consider removing any underscores you have in your SSID's since some devices have problems connecting to a SSID with them.

Did you have problems before when you set channel to "auto"? I would try this again along with a new SSID without underscores.

Using underscores in an SSID name is a sure-fire way to introduce problems, since many clients treat them differently; likewise, depending on where you place the underscore will determine whether your client devices will connect or flake out.

In general, you should take a look at this post by long-respected SNB member SFX2000, who has some very good info on characters to use and avoid in SSID's: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/f...names-ssid-passwords-hostnames-domains.31273/

Personally, I'd change your SSID(s) to use only combinations of letters and numbers. Sure making a change will require you to reconnect your client devices to the new SSID, but how much is your time worth to you? Would you rather than a few minutes to get it right and then never have to deal with it again, or do you want to spend your time trying to resolve disconnect issues that you've been experiencing?

Also, do not discount the possibility that your disconnect issues may be caused by contention issues created by other neighboring 2.4ghz routers owned by neighbors that are broadcasting on the same channels as your 2.4 is on. Wifi is inherently a shared medium, and if you have a lot of interference from other nearby routers that too can cause connection issues.

I am a long-time AC3200 user and fortunately have NEVER experienced any issues with client devices mysteriously dropping connections, except when I used an SSID that contained underscores. Just sayin....

Sooooo
I finally removed ALL underscores from my 3 SSID, and as i was re-setting all my wireless clients the issue happened 3 times!!!!
I thought i was gonna throw the unit out the window.

At least, the issue does not come from the _ in the SSID.

Now, since it happened more frequently while i was re connecting the wifi clients. so may be it is an issue while establishing the connection or acquiring the ip.

Its just frustrating.

The issue happens either with auto or manual channel.

Adrien

Sooooo
I finally removed ALL underscores from my 3 SSID, and as i was re-setting all my wireless clients the issue happened 3 times!!!!

Just changed SSIDs and not factory default reset? Might be worth a try.
Same as @jegesq, long time AC3200 user and never experienced this.

i dont want to jinx it, but the only thing i've changed after removing all '_' from my SSIDs, is upgrade back to 384.5 AND remove the daily reboot.
Just a reminder that i still had crashes after i removed the _ and while i was re-setting the clients, and i also had a crash going back to the latest and greatest. but then someone mentioned the issues with the reboots settings which i was doing, so right now i am a day and some without issues.
cross fingers.

Weeeelllllll i spoke to soon.
It just happened.
sooo frustrating.
I think i am gonna write a small shell script running every 30s and checking if the value in the nvram changed, then hard reboot.

It sucks i will have to do that until they provide a fix.

Adrien

Go to the System Log page and you’ll see it.
ok
so i changed to Debug and all
I am tailing the syslog.log after i ssh in, and i am expecting a bit more activity than what i am seeing but we will see.
in another window i am running this
Code:
while true; do if [ "`nvram get wl0_chanspec`" == "1l" ]; then  echo `date` "no issues" ; else echo `date` "need reboot"; fi; sleep 1; done

We will see if anything shows up

I am tailing the syslog.log after i ssh in, and i am expecting a bit more activity than what i am seeing

It only gets written to when the buffer is full or periodically so don’t expect instantaneous line by line output.

Regarding the script, that’ll only print to stdout; were you expecting it to print to syslog?

It only gets written to when the buffer is full or periodically so don’t expect instantaneous line by line output.

Regarding the script, that’ll only print to stdout; were you expecting it to print to syslog?
the script is just temporary.
Eventually if it shows me the right info then i'll cron the script and reboot then.

Just gonna run the script tonight and hope the issue happens

Reactions: kfp
Try 384.6 alpha. Has updated wireless drivers for AC3200 AFAIK. Works as well as Asus stock for me now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!