What's new

AC3200 and 2.4Ghz issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm afraid to put in the alpha after having so many problems with the last major release. I saw the 2.4 stuff, where devices would not be able to join after the router ran for a day or so. The router would go nonresponsive sometimes as well (web ui)... Lots of crashing. I just moved to stock ASUS and not only cleared this up, but for some reason I'm getting an extra 300 Mbps on my wired line. I have 1000Mbps service here and have only ever got about 600 from my wired workstation. I assumed it was because of a long Cat 5 cable run but with stock ASUS firmware my speedtest went to 950Mbps and has been like that for the past 3 days.
I'm not sure if this is related or not. Even with the last build of Merlin, my wired speed was always topped out at about 600.

I'll check back in a month or two to see how things are going with Merlin, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with ASUS stock. I miss a couple of the bells and whistles but stability is key.

H

reverted to latest stock firmware.
Still have the issue.
I am thinking there is now something wrong with my unit.
Maybe its time to change the router.

Anyone recommends mesh routers?

I am gonna give it one more try.
I am gonna wipe everything and reset manually.
No nvram backup.

In the case that i still have issues, and if i had to replace my ac3200 for any other ASUS router what would you recommend?
I have a town home with 3 floors.
Will WPA3 be supported at the software level?

can the fact that i have all my client assigned a static ip be a problem?

No.

Any luck with the reset yet? As for hardware defect, yea it’s possible, if it’s still in warranty period see if you can get a replacement, if not maybe open it up and see if there are damage inside? Blown capacitor etc.

As for router recommendation, there are lots of good reviews on SNB already, and I think mesh is so far not impressing anyone. Is your townhome concrete or wood? Was the signal of 3200 strong enough to reach most places?

I was waiting for the Argentina France game to be over.
I just reset everything.
Installed Alpha.
Reset again
Initialize
And i am in the process of setting things up.
I will not set any static ip other than for 2 clients (NAS and printer)
I usually change the default Ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.75.1 so i will do that too.
So i will have basic settings and a couple changes.
Hopefully this is it.

I have 2 floors and rooftop on my townhome.
Signal is limit on the rooftop and my sons room wifi is weak as well. Thats why i was thinking of the mesh routers.

I am realizing that i am not using all the features that i can have in my router.
My priorities are:
1. Fast wifi cuz everyone streams on this house (2 kids wife and me at times).
2. static ip assignment.
3. continuous firmware updates (I hated netgear cuz they never updated their firmware)
4. Parental control
5. I actually like the ai protection so something like that would be great.

I think i am ready to see if that latest "reset" will help.
I did do more than i wanted to though.

I've also disable memory management which was enabled before. I wonder if that could have caused an issue too. we shall see. I will report back if it happened again.

If it does, i think i will buy the ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900

Alright, i think i am done with this router.
It happened 2 times again.
I think i am gonna buy a new router.
The AC86U is the one i am gonna pick

Ok so i think this will be the final post.
1. I bought a new router. i ended up with the RT-AC86U
2. I finally opened the router. after removing everying, i saw 2 spots that looked burnt. The worse one is the one that is on the opposite of the sticker that says 2.4ghz
I think we can maybe say that the issues i was having are due to a burnt component.

Anyways, thanks to all of you that tried to help.

Adrien

Attachments

• IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_0222.png
    IMG_0222.png
    498.3 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 693
At least one pic looks more like something was resoldered. Is this a 2nd hand or refurbished unit?
no. Bought it from Amazon on September 19, 2015.
I actually just checked, after registering both units with asus. :)

Ok so i think this will be the final post.
1. I bought a new router. i ended up with the RT-AC86U
2. I finally opened the router. after removing everying, i saw 2 spots that looked burnt. The worse one is the one that is on the opposite of the sticker that says 2.4ghz
I think we can maybe say that the issues i was having are due to a burnt component.

Anyways, thanks to all of you that tried to help.

Adrien
Looks like it's hardware related , nothing you can do except buy a new router / You gave a hell of a try to get it going

So after struggling with similar issues, in particular with the Nest devices dropping off 2.4, I down rev'd my firmware to 3.0.0.4.382.50470, and reconnected everything. After confirming everything was stable for a day, I put my toes back in the water and upgraded the firmware back to 3.0.0.4.382.50624. I set everything back up with the following two exceptions, which I suspect at least one of which (or possibly a buggy combination of both), caused the problem:

1) I didn't assign static IP addresses to my Nest devices.
2) I didn't turn off the radio for 5 GHz band 1.

I had done both of these prior and I would be willing to gamble one or both was the culprit. From another forum I learned that the 2.4 and 5GHz band 1 share the same chip, and I also heard that Nest devices don't like to be bound by static IP's.

In any event, I'll probably never know what really happened to my RT-AC3200, but my experiences were nearly identical to yours and now I've been stable for a few days and I'm not brave enough to change these settings back. Fingers crossed...

So after struggling with similar issues, in particular with the Nest devices dropping off 2.4, I down rev'd my firmware to 3.0.0.4.382.50470, and reconnected everything. After confirming everything was stable for a day, I put my toes back in the water and upgraded the firmware back to 3.0.0.4.382.50624. I set everything back up with the following two exceptions, which I suspect at least one of which (or possibly a buggy combination of both), caused the problem:

1) I didn't assign static IP addresses to my Nest devices.
2) I didn't turn off the radio for 5 GHz band 1.

I had done both of these prior and I would be willing to gamble one or both was the culprit. From another forum I learned that the 2.4 and 5GHz band 1 share the same chip, and I also heard that Nest devices don't like to be bound by static IP's.

In any event, I'll probably never know what really happened to my RT-AC3200, but my experiences were nearly identical to yours and now I've been stable for a few days and I'm not brave enough to change these settings back. Fingers crossed...

I am having issues with a Ring Flood light. But the common variable here is the Router. I also have the RT-AC3200 and it will simply not allow my Ring Camera to connect. I have tried port forwarding, but I am afraid I don't know how to get the IP address for the camera as it never shows up in the client list. I am using the Ring App to set it up... and when I connect the Wi-Fi to the camera, I get an IP address there, but the MAC address is the same for my cell phone I am using to set it up. so I am thinking the IP address I am seeing is not actually for the Camera.

I am not sure how I am supposed to set up port forwarding if I cannot even get the IP address for the camera.

When using the ring app set up on the smartphone, it acts like it connects to the router, but then says it doesn't have internet connection or that I am too far away from the router... but I have it sitting less than 5 feet from the router.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

I am having issues with a Ring Flood light. But the common variable here is the Router. I also have the RT-AC3200 and it will simply not allow my Ring Camera to connect. I have tried port forwarding, but I am afraid I don't know how to get the IP address for the camera as it never shows up in the client list. I am using the Ring App to set it up... and when I connect the Wi-Fi to the camera, I get an IP address there, but the MAC address is the same for my cell phone I am using to set it up. so I am thinking the IP address I am seeing is not actually for the Camera.

I am not sure how I am supposed to set up port forwarding if I cannot even get the IP address for the camera.

When using the ring app set up on the smartphone, it acts like it connects to the router, but then says it doesn't have internet connection or that I am too far away from the router... but I have it sitting less than 5 feet from the router.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

A bit of a delayed response here, but I've been looking for answers regarding my RT-AC3200 and issues surrounding the 2.4GHz network.

Specifically regarding the Ring, I recently installed a new doorbell and ran into some issues- this may be the case for your ring device as well since the app was acting in the same manner for me. Turns out, if your passkey has special characters in it, the ring doesn't process them correctly with the firmware out of the box- I ended up creating a guest network with a new SSID and passkey with no special characters specifically for the ring and had no issues. You may want to try that.

However, I do have an issue with the 2.4GHz channel dropping connectivity. Some devices will remain connected, but not pass packets, others will drop entirely and not be able to reconnect. Same device will be able to connect to both 5GHz networks with no issue. The UI shows no devices on the 2.4GHz network when it drops out. Have tried multiple OE and Merlin firmware versions, and they all seem to have the same issue. A reboot of the router resolves the issue.

I may end up replacing the router with a Ubiquiti wired backbone style mesh WAP system when we buy a house in the next few months, but it would be nice to have stability until then. Otherwise, it can be 2-4 days between resets. I have upgraded all of the devices that I can to either 5GHz chips or wired ethernet- the few holdouts being a printer, xbox 360, kids laptop and cell phone.

I started experiencing this same issue after upgrading to 384.6 from 384.3, except that I may have some other issues as well.

my setup:
router = pfsense 2.4.4 p1
AP = RT-AC3200 (Rev 0 v71) 384.6 (worked fine on 384.3) - Tri band / 2.4(printer, ring, and old PCs), 5Ghz-1 (hidden+isolated, for me only), 5ghz-2 (for all modern devices, iphones, etc)
bridge = rt-ac68r (Rev 0 v71) 380.70 (will not work on any 384 build) - 5Ghz-1 / isolation on / hidden ssid

My sons PC which uses 2.4ghz started losing internet connection at least once per day after the update. His adapter is 2.4 only. He is able to connect to WiFi, but no internet connection at all. Sometimes I can connect to the router and the AP, but sometimes neither. The 1st time I was able to reboot USING the UI from his PC, and was able to view the router firewall settings (because I block his internet, but not in this instance). The second time it lost connection, I used my phone to do the reboot using the web UI because it was unavailable from his PC at that time.

I also had some odd behavior related to the WiFi isolation feature. My MainPC can access the internet, but it just times out when attempting to access the web UI for the AP. Disabling isolation fixes the issue. What is weird is that after I turn it OFF and connect, turning it back ON does NOT break the ability to connect. Randomly (maybe due to the reboots) the issue came back, and I was no longer able to connect to the AP UI. I was able to connect with isolation ON using 384.3.

I only have a couple days of experience on this issue. I have included my rev #'s for reference because it seems like not everyone has these issues. Hopefully some useful info is in this post.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!