What's new

Ac3200 dropping new wireless devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeah I changed the channel from 1 to 11..was gonna go from 11 down to 1 so I selected ch11. The web ui did its little reboot sequence and now I can't connect to my main 2.4gh or my 1 guest network with my PC, tablet or phone. It will appear, then go away ...appear then go away in the list of available networks.

Well that's not what I suggested. So you have channel 11 manually selected. What are the other settings? 20mhz, 40mhz, or both. What about the b, n, etc.

That's why I suggested putting those on auto and seeing if the clients would connect. Some clients are fussy about those settings and auto works best

No but Grisu did in an earlier post this morning.

Ok let me recap. Last night I changed my password to my 2.4 because my light switches wont work right or be stable if the wifi password had special characters or spaces.
So I changed my password, I only reconnected 5 switches and my porch light camera and 3 google homes to turn them on and off with. All was running really smooth and even this morning before work they were.
I get home, do a speed test on my laptop because my internet speeds are way low and I get a 37.3 down speed.
I tested with my phone and got a 3.1 down speed ..yes 3.1
I retested and got like I did last night on my phone on the 2.4 network 57.1 ..or 49.9..or 55.4.

So then I was gonna give the channel swap a try even though I looked at my channel analyzer and saw ch1 had no one on it near me. So I put it on 11.
Internet speeds were crawling before I switched the channel and would have to wait for a page to load.
So now after I eat dinner real fast, I'm going to redo the router again, and not put anything on it other than my laptop on the 2.4g because that is all it will support. And let it run and see what my speeds are. I'll report back with a screen shot of the test with a wired and wireless connection with in the hour.

For who ever is still bearing with me with this. ... Tonight, I have pushed the reset in the back of the router, I have my 2.4ghz network ssid and my 2 5ghz ssid established all with separate passwords. I only have 2 clients on the router, the laptop I am using "2.4ghz" and my wired Ethernet security cam dvr. I ran some speed test factory fresh, and then changed the channel and channel bandwith. I seem to get the fastest speed of 52.0 down with channel 1... 20mhz/40mhz
It seems like it should be faster than 52mbps. Everything is running good. connection seems stable other than I feel it should be faster than this even though it is on wireless.
Then I have the wifi light switches and 3 google home speakers and 1 front porch light camera that needs to go online. What should I start with? The front porch light cam?

Attachments

• speedtestch1.PNG
    speedtestch1.PNG
    193.6 KB · Views: 549
For who ever is still bearing with me with this. ... Tonight, I have pushed the reset in the back of the router, I have my 2.4ghz network ssid and my 2 5ghz ssid established all with separate passwords. I only have 2 clients on the router, the laptop I am using "2.4ghz" and my wired Ethernet security cam dvr. I ran some speed test factory fresh, and then changed the channel and channel bandwith. I seem to get the fastest speed of 52.0 down with channel 1... 20mhz/40mhz
It seems like it should be faster than 52mbps. Everything is running good. connection seems stable other than I feel it should be faster than this even though it is on wireless.
Then I have the wifi light switches and 3 google home speakers and 1 front porch light camera that needs to go online. What should I start with? The front porch light cam?

I believe your laptop wireless-g adapter is getting near max speed of 54 Mbps... at least until you layer on those IoT clients.

Me, I'd keep the IoT stuff offline until you sort out your important clients and have some confidence that your network is stable and optimized. Then I'd rip out those highly suspect $20 light switches and buy a box of Leviton quiet switches for $0.50 a piece... there is just not enough going for them in the online reviews to justify the whole experience of installing them, using them, maintaining/replacing them, having them pull your network down, and ultimately trying to sell them to the next home buyer, if they last longer than 6 months. But that's just me.

OE

I believe your laptop wireless-g adapter is getting near max speed of 54 Mbps... at least until you layer on those IoT clients.
If he gets 52Mb/s on DSL with 2G he must run 802.11n mode with 100Mb/s connection speed, because you can only get about 60% throughput of wifi-max connection speed, rest is needed for overhead and half duplex.
With g-mode 54Mb/s you can only get about 30Mb/s on DSL-line.

Just tested it and set router to legacy 2G, at best I got 22Mb/s up and down.

Last edited:

Me, I'd keep the IoT stuff offline until you sort out your important clients and have some confidence that your network is stable and optimized. Then I'd rip out those highly suspect $20 light switches and buy a box of Leviton quiet switches for $0.50 a piece... there is just not enough going for them in the online reviews to justify the whole experience of installing them, using them, maintaining/replacing them, having them pull your network down, and ultimately trying to sell them to the next home buyer, if they last longer than 6 months. But that's just me.

OE

I'm definitely with ya on that!
I only have my laptop and phone and front porch light cam on the 2.4 as of now.
The light switches are getting ready to be history, I bought a Samsung smartthings hub last night and we found some touch dimmer GE/Jasco switches we are going to get. Alot more expensive but well worth it in the long run.
As far as the laptop you're probably right.
My phone is showing around 41 to 49 mbps down, a little slower than my laptop was showing. Last night the phone was showing upper 50's 60's and laptop was in the 40's 50's.

If he gets 52Mb/s on DSL with 2G he must run 802.11n mode with 100Mb/s connection speed, because you can only get about 60% throughput of wifi-max connection speed, rest is needed for overhead and half duplex.

I have Spektrum/Charter cable internet. I'm paying for 200mbps a month.
When I first got the router last year or so, my phones, tablets seemed to get way better numbers than my laptops on 2.4 network.
When I get in from work this evening, I'm going to plug directly into my router and see what I get and then I'm going to plug directly into my modem and see what speeds I get. Then I'll go back on wifi sitting right next to the router and do a speed test and 1 more whil in my living room. I'll screen shot the test results and post this evening.

And like I say, there is not much wifi traffic in my neighborhood from my analyzer and we dont use cordless phones, and or microwaves and I know neither of my neighbors do because I removed both of theirs while helping with their kitchen remodeling. There is no steel in my house, no concrete walls, it's just a little cracker box ranch style...just figured I toss it out there for what it's worth.

I have Spektrum/Charter cable internet. I'm paying for 200mbps a month.
When I first got the router last year or so, my phones, tablets seemed to get way better numbers than my laptops on 2.4 network.
When I get in from work this evening, I'm going to plug directly into my router and see what I get and then I'm going to plug directly into my modem and see what speeds I get. Then I'll go back on wifi sitting right next to the router and do a speed test and 1 more whil in my living room. I'll screen shot the test results and post this evening.

And like I say, there is not much wifi traffic in my neighborhood from my analyzer and we dont use cordless phones, and or microwaves and I know neither of my neighbors do because I removed both of theirs while helping with their kitchen remodeling. There is no steel in my house, no concrete walls, it's just a little cracker box ranch style...just figured I toss it out there for what it's worth.
Its ok, only wanted to correct things that your laptop via 2G surely is using n-mode and not g-mode as it is "way to fast" for g-mode.
You wont get 200 with 2G, my limit with 2G 40MHz bandwith is about 100-130Mb/s.
Change to 40MHz and you will see doubled speeds. No problem in your case without problematic neighbours.

Just tested it and set router to legacy 2G, at best I got 22Mb/s up and down.

Yes, thanks, I should have just gone to bed! Too many Gs in this thread.

OE

Last edited:
Well, here is a wrench tossed in the situation. Check out the attached screen shots. these are my laptop directly plugged into the modem and bypassing the router. Im on the phone on hold with Spektrum now....

Also, I found a guy on youtube who has the same router and about 80 devices connected and was having the same issues as myself. He now runs around 50 on the router and added a Ubiquity AP Pro and has the others on it along with ip cameras and says it runs flawless now.

Also I called Spektrum during me trying to write this and they did their test and looked at their logs and said it was terrible speeds and the log file showed errors and intermittent drop outs and what ever else on their end. So I have a tech coming out Friday to resolve or hopefully resolve the speed issue. He also said that at my location, I should be getting 245.91 mbps to be exact in his words. He asked have i been experiencing day by day things getting slower and slower, and i told him yes, but since I added a few extra things, It would only take 2 to 8 hours before we could tell a slow down and today, the only thing on the 2.4 network was my laptop.. turned off and my front porch camera. The internet was at crawling speeds. My elderly mother can walk faster than it was moving when I got in from work.

So, fingers crossed and I will defiantly post back the results Friday as soon as they leave.
Once the speed issue is resolved, then I can start back on the device issues .

Attachments

• direct2.PNG
    direct2.PNG
    49.2 KB · Views: 424
  • diectly.PNG
    diectly.PNG
    177.5 KB · Views: 507
Ok yall, tech came out. He plug his handheld analyzer directly to my cable from the wall and it showed 1.2Gbps. He done some other stuff and changed out my cat6 and a new coax from the wall , which I already done and tried, and then a speed test with my laptop connected directly to the modem and was still showing low speeds. He said, " your modem os messed up. You will need a new one." So we go get the step above what I have, get it provisioned and BAM!!! NO GO!! Same stinking slow speed while on the phone with the rep and she said she doesnt think it's my modem old or new... So now I have another tech coming out Monday between 6 and 7. She said it has to be something out at the pole.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!