What's new

AC3200 worth the upgrade from AC87U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But talking about things that are currently available, is it possible to compare AC87 and AC3200 in a like for like comparison? or they still have their own pros and cons depending on what you want to use it for?

Wait for Tim's review of the RT-AC3200, then you'll be able to compare everything you want, including wireless range/coverage benchmarks. None of the rare RT-AC3200 owners have done any actual benchmark tests, so at best we can only talk theories.

Last edited:
Wait for Tim's review of the RT-AC3200, then you'll be able to compare everything you want, including wireless range/coverage benchmarks. None of the rare RT-AC3200 owners have done any actual benchmark tests, so at beast we can only talk theories.

I read some comments of Tim Higgins in a post on a website. His general recommendation was just to buy what you need and $100 routers were just fine. He commented that there is no point in trying to future proof your purchase as it was better to wait until the feature was available on devices then buy the router.

These devices are expensive toys with quite a few bugs and issues in them as far as I can see.

They are interesting toys though, I guess. I did buy the AC87U as I wanted to get the parental controls and AIProtection which I think are both great ideas and ones that work too.

There is no substitute either for ethernet cabling when you want reliability and speed.

The parental controls and AIProtection are also available on the AC68U with RMerlin's firmware. So with that reasoning you might just as well buy an AC68U as long as you don't want to mount it to a wall.

Last edited:
The parental controls and AIProtection are also available on the AC68U with RMerlin's firmware. So with that reasoning you might just as well buy an AC68U as long as you don't want to mount it to a wall.

Wish there were a way to get rid of all the smart stuff and dedicate the router to a simple router , no parental controls , no AIprotection , no trend micro , just radio cpu and ram , nothing complicated ,nothing to slow it down

Wish there were a way to get rid of all the smart stuff and dedicate the router to a simple router , no parental controls , no AIprotection , no trend micro , just radio cpu and ram , nothing complicated ,nothing to slow it down

Use the options properly and you can get to that state.

Use the options properly and you can get to that state.

I figured that out , wish there were a way to get rid of it , all of it on the router , why have it taking up space and potential problems ? Make it more a stripped down high perf router .

It being inside the firmware doesn't mean it's slowing it down when turned off.
Even turned on it's not costing that much, with everything turned on @AC68U it's using 72-74MB of the 250MB RAM available. And it's still routing 500/500 with PPPoE. There are others reaching 740/631 without PPPoE with everything else turned on, 900/800 with a 200MHz overclock and 945/945 with adaptive QoS and DPI turned off on normal clocks. And that's just on the AC68U without FA (level 2 CTF). If that isn't high performance then what is?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!