What's new

AC56U or AC86U (or P)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carov2007

Occasional Visitor
I’m about to start a trip to USA and I like to purchase a Wireless router. I was thinking about the AC68U (may be the “P” but I need to use an Amazon gift card and it is not there yet) or the AC56U.

I’m replacing my ISP g wireless modem, so clearly I’m not a high end user, but I’d like to move on - LOL.

I’ve seen a similar discussion here, but it’s kind of outdated:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=14130&highlight=AC56.

At Amazon the AC86U is around USD 200 while the AC56U is USD 100.
My apartment has 3 floors (including the terrace). Each floor is of around 50 sq meters (540 sq ft). Router must stay at ground floor. There is no way to send LAN cables and I’d like not having a dedicated NAS (space limitations plus simplicity).

Usage would be for web access everywhere I can and some HD movies streaming from a USB 3.0 HDD connected to the router to my kids Asus ME302C tablet, mostly at the second floor. I may also stream from the HDD to the ground floor TV (wired to the router) and get Neflix stuff. I may also do some files downloads from internet at the ground floor notebook (wireless).

With all this information, can someone give some light if the AC56Uwould be fine for me? I’m kind of worried about not having external antenas, if that makes any difference.

Is it really worth paying twice for the AC68U?

Just in case, the N66 is USD more expensive than the AC56U and it does not have USB 3.0 port. Also, I have no AC clients, but I’d like to keep the router some years, so probably I get them latter.

Thanks,

PS: I was decided to the Netegear R7000 (with a price 160-170, can’t remember), but I realized that it is really huge. It’s bigger than my notebook (after correcting my inches to centimeters calculations). Kind of router or divorce discussion, if I got that one:rolleyes: So, right now, I'm back to zero point.

I know you said you have a Amazon card but if you have cash Best Buy stores have the AC68P.

Houtg01

I sware I did the "AC56" search in this forum! I took a look at 3 pages of threads... entering in each one that looked like this one.

I might have done it only in this sub-forum. For sure I passed the one with "what is dual core?" title.

I'll take a look at the links provided.

I'm aware that it's hard to tell if it's going to work. I won't blame nobody:D I'm looking for practical experiences, like the one you've mentioned.

Jim769, I must use my Amazon credit first:mad:

Same boat, almost ...

The 56u is powerful enough to do what you want to do, but I don't think that someone will "certify" that it will cover your whole area.

That said, my daughter has a 56u in a 3 stories house, and so far so good.
But there is so many variables involved with wave propagation.

This is what I'm talking about. I'd like to know more, because I live in an apartment, so I can assume It will work okay for me. :)

Last edited:
Houtg01

I sware I did the "AC56" search in this forum! I took a look at 3 pages of threads... entering in each one that looked like this one.

[....]
My post was not intended as a reproach, not at all. I have been helped so many times. I'm trying to help too.

huotg01, the reproach was to myself. It was very clear that it was not your intention.

It turned out that I had looked at your first link, but I didn't come to a conclusion with that one.

If price difference was lower than 100 (or put differently if AC68 was not the double than AC56), I'd go with AC68. But half priced, that's my doubt!

As far as I understand, the question is how bad is the AC56 loose of signal or throughput at longer distances.

A question for you, what if I use 2 AC56, one in the ground floor and the other in the second floor? Remember that I can’t send LAN cables, so the second one would act as a repeater or a bridge (I don’t know the difference)? Would it be better than using only one AC68 at the ground floor? The money to be spent would be the same, plus I can try only with one AC56 right now and if I fall short I could add another one latter on.

[...]

A question for you, what if I use 2 AC56, one in the ground floor and the other in the second floor? Remember that I can’t send LAN cables, so the second one would act as a repeater or a bridge (I don’t know the difference)? Would it be better than using only one AC68 at the ground floor? The money to be spent would be the same, plus I can try only with one AC56 right now and if I fall short I could add another one latter on.
Very bright approach, but unfortunately it is out of my small domain of understanding, therefore I have no opinion...

My advice ? It depends a lot on the level of service expected...
If the price of the ac68U (or P) is ok with you, go for it. It is better suited for your size of home and it should be a good workhorse for many years.
If not, buy the ac56u and manage to place it in a way that it will cover what is important (and maybe all). Also the 2.4GHz should cover more than that the 5.

carov, the RT-AC68P is a Best Buy store exclusive model as of right now and probably will stay that way. The "P" model jumps the dual core processor to 1 GHz from 800 MHz from the "U" or "R" model to put in on par with the Nighthawk R7000 model from Netgear. I actually have the "P" model and enjoying it (but only had it for about 2 weeks now w/ RMerlin's FW).

I just wanted to add. I have owned many routers from all the popular manufactures and one thing i know for a fact is having external antennas rather then built in is a huge plus (+) ! :D

Thank you all for your help and quick responses.

I guess that I'll do the following. I'll wait some days hoping that the AC68 price decreases. Hopefully they release a new AC5000 (LOL) and its price drops.

If not, it's highly likely that I'd go for the AC56, with almost no technical reasons. Basically, this router would be visible in my living room. My wife is not techy at all, so the prettier and smaller, the better. USD 100 difference is also another good reason.

But, if the price difference drops, I may take the risk of my wife complaints regarding the size and antennas of the AC68 - LOL

[...]

..., I may take the risk of my wife complaints regarding the size and antennas of the AC68 - LOL
Those 3 antennas are so nicely done, so elegant, pointing toward heaven, toward the light, beautiful flowers facing the sun. Your wife will love them...;)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help and quick responses.

I guess that I'll do the following. I'll wait some days hoping that the AC68 price decreases. Hopefully they release a new AC5000 (LOL) and its price drops.

If not, it's highly likely that I'd go for the AC56, with almost no technical reasons. Basically, this router would be visible in my living room. My wife is not techy at all, so the prettier and smaller, the better. USD 100 difference is also another good reason.

But, if the price difference drops, I may take the risk of my wife complaints regarding the size and antennas of the AC68 - LOL

Well not a AC5000 but the next best thing. You know you want one of these beasts sitting in your living room. :D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S9SGNNS/?tag=snbforums-20

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!