What's new

ac56u with synology ddns/dns guidance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ciss

New Around Here
Hey,
So I have a syno nas, an asus ac56u router a namecheap domain which can have ddns, and a dsname.myds.me ddns.
What I want to accomplish is the following:

You just need to intercept the DNS request before it goes outside of your LAN and redirect it. You can also use Microsoft DNS server to create a static entry. Or you can forward your Microsoft DNS to your router and use the router. It all works, you just need to chain them. Since you are accessing DNS on your LAN side I am not sure DDNS really plays a part in this scenario. DDNS only relates to your outside WAN IP address.

PS
I think it is such that when DNS requests are chained it will keep looking until it is resolved. If it is resolved local then it will not look outside of your LAN. So you end up with the LAN side resolving to a different IP address than the outside IP address before NAT so NAT is not required for local LAN DNS. The outside WAN IP address ends up being the same IP address once NAT is applied to the outside IP address which translates to the local LAN IP address.

PSS

The beauty of this is that one saved link will work both outside and inside your network. If for example you tried to access coxhouse.com on a web page the IP address would vary. If you were outside your network then the IP address for coxhouse.com would resolve to your outside DDNS IP address. If you are inside your network the IP address would resolve to the inside private IP address assigned to your server by your DHCP server.

Could you point me in the right direction to do this? Thank you!

This was posted to allow access by name to a private IP address on the inside of a local LAN when the internet DNS points to your router IP. You don't state what you are trying to do. I assume the same. If you have a local DNS server running then just add an A record for the local static entry for the private IP address.