What's new

AC58 2.4GHz WiFi slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CybrSlydr

New Around Here
Hello folks!

I just purchased this router as our old one finally kicked the bucket. (just noticed thread title should say AC68, not 58...)

However, something is wrong. The speeds on the 2.4GHz band are ridiculously slow but the speed on the 5GHz is just fine.

Our network looks like this. Modem plugs into the router. Living Room pc plugs into the router with a wire (but also has Wifi ability - I've disconnected WiFi and it just runs off the wire). My computer has an Amped ACA1 USB adapter. My brother has an Asus N300 adapter on his computer. Both of my laptops are, I assume, Wireless N standard.

We have 30/6 cable internet from Time Warner. When I do a speed test over the wire at the computer in the living room I get advertized speeds. When I do a speed test over the 5GHz WiFi on my computer, I get the advertized speeds.

However, any device that's connecting to the network via the 2.4GHz wifi gets apalling speeds.

For instance, I unplugged the wire from the living room pc and connected via it's built-in wifi (the 2.4GHz network) and with the pc literally sitting less than a foot from the router, I was getting speeds of less than 1mpbs. The strange thing is that when I run the test the first time, on the 2.4GHz network, I get the advertized speeds. Shortly after that, the speeds start slowing down until we get to the illustrated speeds below.

So I grabbed my brother's N300 wifi adapter and plugged it into my computer - same results.

.75 down/.24 up, ping of 1032. (only allowed 3 images)

I unplugged his adapter, plugged my Amped ACA1 in, connected to the 5GHz network and ran the speedtest and got this.

4515465854.png

Finally, I disconnected from the 5GHz network and connected to the 2.4GHz network with the Amped ACA1 adapter and I got this.

4515469738.png

I then disconnected from the 2.4GHz network and connected back to the 5GHz network on my ACA1 and got this.

4515471770.png

I'm really hoping you folks tell me I've just got a bad router and to take it back and get a new one. I've got into the router config and updated the firmware (6975), I've changed the channels to 1, 6, 11. I've changed from 20/40 to just 20 and just 40. I've reset the router to factory standard, unplugged everything (including modem) and followed the printed directions to a T. I've even set the 2.4GHz network to N only thinking that one of the laptops has an even older wireless standard and it was throttling the entire network.

I'm really stumped as to what this problem is. Everything worked fine on the old router until it started to die.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
AC routers are different and have more settings, which you need to be aware of.
To get you started:
- Ensure your wireless client drivers are up to date.
- Ensure for security you choose WPA2 AES - not TKIP. (client and router).
- Ensure you have WMM enabled on your client and on your router.
- Choose a channel for 2.4ghz. If you have an android phone you can get wifi analyzer for free to check out what channels are less congested. (iOS may have an equivalent app).

There will be some tweaking of the 2.4ghz settings for optimal configuration for your environment.

I've got all those settings as you say.

However, I have Windows phone (Lumia 920).

EDIT: This is odd. I unplugged the living room computer ethernet wire from the PC and the router (folks have MLB.tv and want to watch the Pirates) and plugged it into my laptop so we can plug the HDMI into the tv and watch the stream.

I'm back in my room on the ACA1 adapter on the 2.4GHz network and I'm getting the advertised speeds.

I looked at your adapter online. I thought it was an AC adapter. If that's the case, why are you running on 2.4ghz? You should be pointing to the 5ghz band. Do you see the 5ghz band?

This is so bizarre.

My brother has an MLB.tv subscription and they like to watch the Pirates. So, knowing that the wired connection was working just fine, I hooked the laptop up to the wire from the router and used HDMI into the TV so they could watch over the fast internet.

After I did this, I went back to my room and logged on the 2.4GHz network and did a speedtest.

I got advertised speeds.

Puzzled, I asked my bro to run the speedtest on his computer with his Asus N300 adapter.

He got advertised speeds. wtf?

So I went to the laptop and unplugged the wire and logged on the 2.4GHz network and ran the speedtest.

I got advertised speeds.

So I go to the livingroom computer, the one that had the wire but is now unplugged and logged onto the 2.4GHz network and ran a speedtest.

I got advertised speeds.

So, I seem to have fixed the issue by unplugging the cable from the router that went into the computer. All Wifi networks with the computer unplugged from the router are working as they should.

That is so bizarre - what about having one computer wired to the router would make it throttle the 2.4GHz network?

I looked at your adapter online. I thought it was an AC adapter. If that's the case, why are you running on 2.4ghz? You should be pointing to the 5ghz band. Do you see the 5ghz band?
I was running on the 2.4GHz so I could check speeds without switching computers (efficient? lazy? I leave that up to you :D ). The adapter sees and connects to the 5GHz network just fine.

Have you check the PC for any Malware / viruses?

We literally just reset that computer about a week ago. It was one of my brother's old ones (I helped him build a new one). We did the full restore of Windows (it's 8.1). I'd have preferred to do DB&N and really wipe it clean but it's an OEM box and didn't come with a disc, only the Windows Restore options. (HP Pavilion)

Only my parents use it (I use it for troubleshooting if needed since it's close to the modem/router).

I've not noticed anything strange about it and they haven't said anything to me.

My brother and I run Spybot and Malware Bytes (we've paid for licenses) so I'm pretty sure both ours are fine and my folks run Norton on theirs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!