What's new

AC66U bridge connection failing for one printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElShaddai Edwards

Occasional Visitor
Configuration: I have two Brother printers (color inkjet, B&W laser) and my laptop hard wired to a Buffalo switch, which runs to an AC66U set to Wireless Bridge mode, connecting to my main router (AC68U) elsewhere in the house. There are other computers connected to the main router in various ways -- wifi and via another wireless bridge.

Both printers have been configured to use the LAN interface (wireless off) and have fixed IP addresses, outside the main router's DHCP range. My laptop and all other computers on the overall network are running Windows 10. I've configured all computers to use TCP/IP ports for both printers and the ports are pointing to the correct IP addresses. As best as I've been able to determine, there is no difference between the printer network configurations.

Problem: I can access and print to both printers from my laptop (hard-wired to the same switch) without problem. Both printers are listed, with correct IP addresses, in the client list of the bridge AC66U. However, one of the printers does not show up in the client list of the main AC68U. Other computers on the network (connected to main router wirelessly) show the problem printer as "offline" and ping tests fail. If I reboot the AC68U, sometimes both printers show up and all computers can print to them. Then the problem printer will disappear and I'm back where I started.

If I switch the problem printer to a wireless network connection (to the AC68U), it shows up fine on the client list and everybody can print. But I was hoping to reduce the overall number of wireless clients, so my preference is to hard-wire it to the switch/AC66U bridge.

Questions:
  • When I print from my laptop, is the print request being sent all the way to the AC68U for IP resolution, or is the AC66U intercepting the request and routing it back to the printer on the same switch?
  • Is this an AC66U problem, sending to the main router? Or an AC68U problem, resolving the connection from the AC66U?
  • Or something altogether different? Any clues as to what I should be looking for?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Nevermind. Removed the Buffalo switch from the configuration and plugged the printer directly into the AC66U and things seem to work correctly. Not sure if it just wasn't seated properly or if I've got a bad switch port. More things to figure out...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!