What's new

AC66U OpenVPN Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sirnom

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am running a DSL-AC88U (Stock ASUS build as no custom firmware avaliable) and have a RT-AC66U as access point, running asus-merlin and entware.

I would like to setup the AC66U to run all its traffic (transmission server, plus some other little devices) through a VPN (ExpressVPN), but do not want rest of the network to run through VPN.
I am unable to do it from the AC88U as it only does either whole network or nothing at all.

P.S. worst case I also have 2 other routers that are just repeating which I could set up as a getway for the AC66U and make that router run all traffic to VPN, but this is not as elegant.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
and have a RT-AC66U as repeater router,
Is it configured as a repeater or a router, it can't be both.

I would like to setup the AC66U to run all its traffic (transmission server, plus some other little devices) through a VPN ...
What are these "other little devices"? Services running on the router or clients on the LAN?

Is it configured as a repeater or a router, it can't be both.
Sorry, I mean it is configured as a access point

What are these "other little devices"? Services running on the router or clients on the LAN?
Clients on LAN, mainly TV and Android Media Box

As far as I'm aware you need it to be configured as a router for the VPN client to work.
That would be correct as the interface has no vpn options unless I turn it from access point to router, I was looking for an option to use an entware package to circumvent this

If this cannot be achieved in access point mode, what would be easier and most efficient.
Setting up one of my OpenWRT routers (in access point mode aswell) as a vpn server and point the AC66U gateway and dns server to the OpenWRT router to acheive this.
Or
Setup the AC66U as normal router mode and adjust the settings to act as a access point, then use the inbuilt OpenVPN settings

I think 'Or' is better. :)

And, use the most powerful router you have to host the VPN connection if you want the most speed possible.

I think 'Or' is better. :)

And, use the most powerful router you have to host the VPN connection if you want the most speed possible.
You mean setup either my DGN3500 or Archer C50 to have a VPN Server and point the AC66U's DNS and Gateway IP to the VPN Server?

I meant the 'Or', from post 7. :)

But whichever router you have that is the most powerful is the right one.

I will give that a whirl, although if someone does have an entware solution, I think that would be preferred over setting up a router as VPN Server

Hey, newbie here - I was thinking about getting the AC66U but it seems that out of the box it only supports PPTP, does it support openVPN with Merlin or does it depend on the hardware?
Thanks!

Hey, newbie here - I was thinking about getting the AC66U but it seems that out of the box it only supports PPTP, does it support openVPN with Merlin or does it depend on the hardware?
Thanks!
You need the RT-AC66U_B1 model not the obsolete old RT-AC66U one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 070