What's new

Ac66u or AC86U? 500 Mw TX Power?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mcroy

New Around Here
Hi!

I'm trying to search a good router to use as main router. I live in a small flat but router needs to be behind the TV, inside the fitment. So my operator router doesn't give me signal around all my flat.

So, to have at least 2.4Ghz signal around all my flat...I 'm looking for:

AC66U (1750)
AC86U

I'd read that AC-66U could be improved until 500mW TX power with Merlin FW v 374.
I need to follow this steps for doing that, right?: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/help-transmit-power-restriction-for-rt-n66u.9229/

Can I improve to 500mW TX the AC86U too?

Hi!

I'm trying to search a good router to use as main router. I live in a small flat but router needs to be behind the TV, inside the fitment. So my operator router doesn't give me signal around all my flat.

So, to have at least 2.4Ghz signal around all my flat...I 'm looking for:

AC66U (1750)
AC86U

I'd read that AC-66U could be improved until 500mW TX power with Merlin FW v 374.
I need to follow this steps for doing that, right?: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/help-transmit-power-restriction-for-rt-n66u.9229/

Can I improve to 500mW TX the AC86U too?
If you want to save a buck look at the RT-AC66U_B1 (not the RT-AC66U which is not getting support these days).
The RT-AC86U is a great router, faster than the AC66U_B1. I have both and run the AC86U as my main router with the AC66U_B1 in reserve just-in-case.
You should not have to boost your power level. I have a 1500 sq ft house and the AC86U covers the house and my 80x120 ft lot and beyond with ease.

but router needs to be behind the TV, inside the fitment.

The AC86U is best suited for standing upright, high and in the clear. The minimum space required is 12.5"H x 15"W x 4"D plus clear space for ventilation and radio waves. Placing it in a hole behind a TV is not ideal.

OE

Power output levels can no longer be increased by the users, new FCC requirements from a few years ago forced manufacturers to remove that feature.

Thanks all of you to answer my question!

I've reading more about AC66 & AC86. AC86 Seems to be an improved version of AC66 and users of 2020 production's seems to be happy with it.

The only thing that seems to be better in the AC66 is the possibility to improve the TX until 500mW (for US region), but it's really needed?

If you want to save a buck look at the RT-AC66U_B1 (not the RT-AC66U which is not getting support these days).
The RT-AC86U is a great router, faster than the AC66U_B1. I have both and run the AC86U as my main router with the AC66U_B1 in reserve just-in-case.
You should not have to boost your power level. I have a 1500 sq ft house and the AC86U covers the house and my 80x120 ft lot and beyond with ease.

Thank you!

My house is 80m2 with an L, and in this corner is where signal doesn't be strong nowdays. So i hope AC86U will reach it

The AC86U is best suited for standing upright, high and in the clear. The minimum space required is 12.5"H x 15"W x 4"D plus clear space for ventilation and radio waves. Placing it in a hole behind a TV is not ideal.

OE

Thanks OE! Yes I know that is not the better place to be, but it's the only possibility. Evenso, the space is much longer than that (the hole is like a 47" TV and 40cm deep).

Power output levels can no longer be increased by the users, new FCC requirements from a few years ago forced manufacturers to remove that feature.

Thank you Merlin

All clear now, so the only router that I can improve the power output will be AC66U with an old Merlin firmware. Also setting region to US (to 500mW) and GB (200 mW).

I'm just recieved an AC86U. I'll update it to latest Merlin firmware. Is there any configuration recomended that I could follow?

Thank you so much!!!

And people always forget that, even if you manage to increase your TX power of your router, this isn't a half-duplex world. The stations (i.e. the adapter in your laptop, tablet, streaming device, IoT hardware) also play an equivalent role in the overall process. Their TX power cannot be increased.
Router: 'Can you hear me now?!"
Client: 'Sure can'
Router: 'Helllllloo????'

All clear now, so the only router that I can improve the power output will be AC66U with an old Merlin firmware. Also setting region to US (to 500mW) and GB (200 mW).
The post you're referring to was for the RT-N66U not the RT-AC66U.

Thanks OE! Yes I know that is not the better place to be, but it's the only possibility. Evenso, the space is much longer than that (the hole is like a 47" TV and 40cm deep).

I suggest you commission the new AC86U out and up and away from its final resting place and use it there a few days to learn how it performs before putting it behind the TV. Then you will better know any perceived difference in WiFi performance.

I believe the AC86U is capable of max legal signal power, so I would enjoy that.

OE

I suggest you commission the new AC86U out and up and away from its final resting place and use it there a few days to learn how it performs before putting it behind the TV. Then you will better know any perceived difference in WiFi performance.

I believe the AC86U is capable of max legal signal power, so I would enjoy that.

OE

Thanks! OE
I'll follow your Install Notes:
My 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh 2.0 install notes (post #277):
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

Just to setup. I know that it were for AIMesh conection, but as main router should be fine configuration too

Theoretically speaking, can an experienced user change that?
(e.g. flash US CFE, CFE decrypt, CFE edit or hardware mods?)

Theoretically speaking, can an experienced user change that?
(e.g. flash US CFE, CFE decrypt, CFE edit or hardware mods?)
In theory anything is possible with the required skills, time and knowledge. But any such discussion would be against this forum's rules so you would have to look elsewhere for that.

Increasing the transmitter power by 6dB would theoretically double its range -- but you would not be able to receive the remote client's signal from any farther than you did before. It is also likely that pushing the transmitter power too high would create distortion and thus degrade the data recovered from the carrier.

Using a higher gain antenna at either end would improve both transmission AND reception range by the same amount.

I've done this for science in the past with BCM4360 radios and the result was always the same - the useable range remains mostly unchanged, but the link speeds to near clients drop down because of increased errors and retransmissions. Skyworks amplifiers are very sensitive and small input increase results in distortion and noise. Previously connected near clients at 866Mbps link speeds couldn't connect anymore to anything higher than 300Mbps. In summary - not worth the time and efforts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!