What's new

AC66U slow wireless speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mawa92

New Around Here
Hello,

I have an Asus RT-AC66U router with Merlin Fork 380.57_0 firmware. I use a Macbook pro retina late 2013 and have a 1000 Mbps upload and 200 Mbps download Internet connection.

The problem is my wireless/internet speed is slower than it should be.

Here the results from speedtest.net:

I am connected to ASUS_5G.

5GHZ settings are:

Hide SSID: No
Wireless Mode: Auto
Channel bandwidth: 80 MHz
Control Channel: Auto (tested all channels, no improvements)
Authentication Method: WPA2 Personal
WPA Encryption: AES
Network Key Rotation Interval: 3600

I changed nothing in Professional Settings.

TX rate is 1300. My Macbook supports 1.3 Gbps connection.

Hope somebody can help. Many Thanks

Last edited:
Did you do a reset to factory defaults and a minimal and manual configuration of the router to connect to your ISP and secure the router?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

When you tested all the 5GHz channels, did you reboot the router and your laptop?

Did you try using new ssid's? Or, 'forget' and re-associate the computer to the router?

Did you try resetting the 'network' settings completely on the laptop?

What were your results prior to 380.57?

I now realise "slow" is relative. There are many on the forum who'd sell their souls to the Devil for such slow wireless speeds.

Don't let me divert you from answering ALL of L&LD's questions first (and especially the last one): are you in the same room as the router - no walls, tv screens etc in between? I know you said you tried all channels, but have you looked at the wireless signal with something like Inssider 3, just in case, something is causing breaks in the wireless signal; I know it's a long shot.

I must say that with Lan Cable connection I get the full speed. Anybody Help?

You have already answered your own question. Next step is to read WiFi 101 which I'm sure lots of nice fellows are happy to suggest.

In a nutshell, 1300Mbps wireless link you see is the utopia which you can dream day in day out but will ever reach. If you can hit 50% of that, you're doing excellent.

Your current result is a fair play. I would say very good for an RT-AC66.