What's new

AC68P Slow Wifi Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loki993

Occasional Visitor
Recently I've begun having some issues with the wifi performance of this router. When multiple devices are ruining its running out of bandwidth. The issue is compounded that I have project fi and all my phone calls are over wifi. Even with nothing else running my call quality is not great, but especially when other things are running people cant hear me and they call are breaking up...even if Im standing right next to the routers.

wifi speeds are very inconsistent. Right now I just ran 2 tests from my living room which is probably 60 feet from the router and in going through 3 or 4 walls. One was in the 40 Mbps range and the other was nearly 80. Average is usually in the 60s. I know the range is killing the signal, but dropping by more than half seems extreme. I get 130 if Im closer to the router.

This is all on the 2.4g network.

the other issue is the the 5g performance of this router is terrible. I know that 5 g doesn't have as good of range as 2.4 but even still it seems that something isn't right with it. Just as an example I have a fire tv and I connect on wifi at 5g it says the signal is poor to marginal.....moving to 2.4 its good. So Ive tried running on 5g but the signal in parts of the house are just too inconsistent for the most part. It drops too much.

Right now Im running on channel 3 for 2.4 as its the least congested channel I can find around me. Im at 161 for 5g. Im running auto for wireless mode.

I run a PC thats connected wired. A Fire TV wireless, 2 tablets and 2 phones....all wireless obviously.
The Fire Tv has a static IP as does the computer thats connected wired.

The phones and tablets all get IPs from DHCP.

It sounds like a lot but were not constantly looking at videos on the phones. The tablets, they do watch videos, but also we rarely have everything going at once. When we do though it is noticeable. If the kids are watching something on the tablets dn Im watching something on the firetv Ill get a bit of buffering sometimes.

If anyone is watching a video, even on one device, it destroys my phone connection.

I get around 260Mbps from my modem on wired and its pretty consistent, so the speed from my provider isn't the problem.

Im at a point where Im going to just buy a mesh setup and forget it but Id really like to not have to spend the 300 bucks if I dont have to considering this router was already pretty expensive and was supposed to be one of the best out there when I got it, so Im not quite ready to completely give up on it just yet.

So is there anything I can try or is this is what it is?

I tried to provide as much relevant detail as I could but if ive missed anything let me know and I can check.

60 feet from the router and in going through 3 or 4 walls

As I see it, your issues come from distance and channel congestion/interference.
You need to move all your devices to 5GHz band and use more than one access points.

Im running auto for wireless mode.

Could try 2.4 GHz n-only, 20 MHz; and 5.0 GHz n/ac-mixed, 80 MHz.

Check the connection link rate speed on your wireless clients to know how well they are connecting at distance.

For reference, this post shows some recent speed results I recorded for an 86U AiMesh node and strong PC client at select distances.

OE

Probably not the solution you're looking for, but I experienced the same thing with our RT-AC68R. Always felt the WiFi performance was poor, especially the 5GHz even though we're in a small condo. Changing firmware and settings made little to no difference.

Finally got a RT-AC86U for improved VPN speeds, and saw vastly improved WiFi performance as well. It's currently on sale for $155 on Amazon. I say you bite the bullet. The RT-AC68R was good for it's time, but isn't up to snuff nowadays.

Probably not the solution you're looking for, but I experienced the same thing with our RT-AC68R. Always felt the WiFi performance was poor, especially the 5GHz even though we're in a small condo. Changing firmware and settings made little to no difference.

Finally got a RT-AC86U for improved VPN speeds, and saw vastly improved WiFi performance as well. It's currently on sale for $155 on Amazon. I say you bite the bullet. The RT-AC68R was good for it's time, but isn't up to snuff nowadays.

If Im not going to just add an access point then Im setting up a mesh network

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!