What's new

AC68U AiMesh Wired Still Dropping Nodes on Wireless Signal Strength (Solved)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for creating this thread.

I also have the same setup, and have disconnects on the 3100 node often. So much so I have unplugged the 3100 for about 3 months now.

How is your setup working? Is it more stable now or are you still having issues?

Thanks again!

Hey man, I think it's a lot more stable now. Though as you know AiMesh or any other mesh technology doesn't work like your 3G/4G technology. It only connects to one wi-fi at a time. New phones do switch to other nodes easily but old ones are stubborn. Hang on to it. I had issues with my node showing connected to my main router but wouldn't accept any client no matter what you tried. It seems a lot more stable now. Have been running without issues (or I haven't noticed any is a better statement) since the last 2 firmware.

KaziQ

So what firmware are you running on now? I saw one recently released (Version 3.0.0.4.384.45708) but I have yet to upgrade. In fact, forum posts about it again make me leery. I am still running 3.0.0.4.384_45149.

So what firmware are you running on now? I saw one recently released (Version 3.0.0.4.384.45708) but I have yet to upgrade. In fact, forum posts about it again make me leery. I am still running 3.0.0.4.384_45149.

The latest with the squashFS problem. Checking my logs, (I don't use QoS or AiProtection and such) squashFS only occured couple of times within one minute 4 days ago. And now after checking the network monitor and such. If you leave it alone, nothing happens. Network monitor didn't seem to work. So that's that. If you are using those features, stay away from this firmware. Otherwise, I got it for stable wifi and security fixes.

KaziQ

The latest with the squashFS problem. Checking my logs, (I don't use QoS or AiProtection and such) squashFS only occured couple of times within one minute 4 days ago. And now after checking the network monitor and such. If you leave it alone, nothing happens. Network monitor didn't seem to work. So that's that. If you are using those features, stay away from this firmware. Otherwise, I got it for stable wifi and security fixes.

KaziQ

Wise words, stability, and security rule! ;)

KaziQ, guess what song is stuck in my head now. But the words seem different! :):):)

The latest with the squashFS problem. Checking my logs, (I don't use QoS or AiProtection and such) squashFS only occurred couple of times within one minute 4 days ago. And now after checking the network monitor and such. If you leave it alone, nothing happens. Network monitor didn't seem to work. So that's that. If you are using those features, stay away from this firmware. Otherwise, I got it for stable wifi and security fixes.

KaziQ

Thanks so much for the feedback, KaziQ. With security and stability being top priority, I'm curious why not to use AiProtection - Network Protection, especially the 2 way IPS? Do you have another layer of security instead?

• Router Security Assessment
  • Malicious Sites Blocking
  • Vulnerability Protection (Two-Way Intrusion Prevention System prevents spam or DDoS attacks on any device connected to the network. It also blocks malicious incoming packets to protect the router from network vulnerability attacks.
  • Infected Device Prevention and Blocking

Thanks so much for the feedback, KaziQ. With security and stability being top priority, I'm curious why not to use AiProtection - Network Protection, especially the 2 way IPS? Do you have another layer of security instead?

• Router Security Assessment
  • Malicious Sites Blocking
  • Vulnerability Protection (Two-Way Intrusion Prevention System prevents spam or DDoS attacks on any device connected to the network. It also blocks malicious incoming packets to protect the router from network vulnerability attacks.
  • Infected Device Prevention and Blocking
You are are right. I should. I have Kaspersky installed on all of my PCs, Mac and Windows. Devices that are not sandboxes like Android are iOS are of no concern. But of course I cannot guarantee some guests or family member's laptop has antivirus installed. So I should turn the feature on. I just don't trust the routers horse power to be able to handle all of the traffic and my online gaming not in terms of throughput but in terms of latency. So everything is off on the router side. When I press fire and see my self fire a round on my screen and my friend kills me and he tells me that I never took a shot at him, then I start searching for the weakest link in the chain to blame :).

For the vulnerability protection and infected device prevention and blocking, I haven't got much to say. NAT already blocks all the ports except for the forwarded ones, UPnP is disabled. All of the NAT passthroughs are disabled. Like I said, trying to run a bare router with port forwarding here. I have used some of the features like the VPN server and client, USB router or the downloader in the past. I wasn't 100% satisfied with the downloader I should say. Definitely handy when your router is the only device on 24/7. So it's there for me just in case and I like that.

I know some people disable the hardware switch and use the software one to do QoS and other stuff but they are limited to 300Mbps I understand from what I've read so far. It does make sense. They are limited to what the CPU can process. It has always been like that and apparently hasn't changed even with the latest and greatest quad core multi GHz routers. So, than that, I run just a bare router :).

BTW, I need to add, AiMesh node has not dropped ever since the last 2 firmware updates or so. This thread continuing may be misleading. Just want to let readers know.

KaziQ

Last edited:
You are are right. I should. I have Kaspersky installed on all of my PCs, Mac and Windows. Devices that are not sandboxes like Android are iOS are of no concern. But of course I cannot guarantee some guests or family member's laptop has antivirus installed. So I should turn the feature on. I just don't trust the routers horse power to be able to handle all of the traffic and my online gaming not in terms of throughput but in terms of latency. So everything is off on the router side. When I press fire and see my self fire a round on my screen and my friend kills me and he tells me that I never took a shot at him, then I start searching for the weakest link in the chain to blame :).

For the vulnerability protection and infected device prevention and blocking, I haven't got much to say. NAT already blocks all the ports except for the forwarded ones, UPnP is disabled. All of the NAT passthroughs are disabled. Like I said, trying to run a bare router with port forwarding here. I have used some of the features like the VPN server and client, USB router or the downloader in the past. I wasn't 100% satisfied with the downloader I should say. Definitely handy when your router is the only device on 24/7. So it's there for me just in case and I like that.

I know some people disable the hardware switch and use the software one to do QoS and other stuff but they are limited to 300Mbps I understand from what I've read so far. It does make sense. They are limited to what the CPU can process. It has always been like that and apparently hasn't changed even with the latest and greatest quad core multi GHz routers. So, than that, I run just a bare router :).

BTW, I need to add, AiMesh node has not dropped ever since the last 2 firmware updates or so. This thread continuing may be misleading. Just want to let readers know.

KaziQ

What does your ISP provided speeds look like? Which PC's do you game from (guessing Windows)?

Depending on the answers above, I would be most suspicious of Kaspersky for your gaming woes than any limitations the RT-AC68U may impose, even with many of the options you've disabled turned on. ;)

Also, what port forwarding do you have? Is that for your gaming?

What does your ISP provided speeds look like? Which PC's do you game from (guessing Windows)?

Depending on the answers above, I would be most suspicious of Kaspersky for your gaming woes than any limitations the RT-AC68U may impose, even with many of the options you've disabled turned on. ;)

Also, what port forwarding do you have? Is that for your gaming?

Agreed.