What's new

AC68U and Time machine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

juras

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

i have new AC68U and time machine don't work for me.
FW is latest Merlin 374.42

Every time I try to setup time machine in my macbook air, i got error message:

"The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported"

mac can see disk for time machine disk (USB3), but as soon I fill credentials - this error appear.

Did someone have same problem?

Thx
Juraj

I have the exact same problem. I'm using OS X 10.9.2 and Merlin 374.42 on a AC68U.
The hard drive is connected to the USB3 port and is a ext4 partition.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem. I'm using OS X 10.9.2 and Merlin 374.42 on a AC68U.
The hard drive is connected to the USB3 port and is a ext4 partition.

10.9.2 for me too, i have on usb disk Mac OS Extended - it should be this format for time machine, new FW support it...

Working for me. With some previous AC68R firmware versions back to Feb, I did have some frustrations, noted below. With current firmware it's been straight forward.

Maverick's 10.9.2,
AC68R, Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_5656,
Drive format Mac OS Extended (required for TimeMachine, I believe).
Portable USB powered drive (no power brick for drive).
Connected to USB 2.

In router, select:
USB application
Enable Time Machine On
Backup Path /mnt/sda2
TimeMachine Volume Size GB (0: Limitless)

On Mac menu bar: Time Machine, select Preferences.
Select Disk: "RT-A68R-6xxx" [in my case]
Then a Mac dialog pops up:
Admin Log-in: xxxx
User Pass: xxxxx

Then, select TimeMachine, Back Up Now. It works.

Once, on previous router firmware, when I was having a problem seeing the drive as an option to select in TimeMachine:

a) I did take the USB drive and connected it to the MacBook Pro and ran Disk Utility and Repaired Disk. (I don't know whether it helped, but it was a step I took.)

b) I re-connected the drive and restarted the router (unplugged, and replugged power).

I've used the same set up with a second AC68 at a friends house, setting up a 3TB desktop drive with power brick. There are 4 Macs with various OS versions, but mostly 10.8.4 or 10.8.6, backing up to that 3TB drive successfully. I recall using USB 2.

If the mount drive dialog doesn't come up, in menu bar select Go, and then Connect To Server.

Server Address:
afp://RT-AC68R-6xxx._afpovertcp._tcp.local [replacing xxx with the name of your disk or
afp://RT-AC68R-6028._afpovertcp._tcp.local]

That should prompt you for the log in Admin: [admin user name] and Password: [xxx]. The disk should then show up as a selectable device under Time Machine preferences.

When in doubt, a restart of the Mac doesn't hurt. Good luck.

Working for me. With some previous AC68R firmware versions back to Feb, I did have some frustrations, noted below. With current firmware it's been straight forward.

Maverick's 10.9.2,
AC68R, Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_5656,
Drive format Mac OS Extended (required for TimeMachine, I believe).
Portable USB powered drive (no power brick for drive).
Connected to USB 2.

In router, select:
USB application
Enable Time Machine On
Backup Path /mnt/sda2
TimeMachine Volume Size GB (0: Limitless)

On Mac menu bar: Time Machine, select Preferences.
Select Disk: "RT-A68R-6xxx" [in my case]
Then a Mac dialog pops up:
Admin Log-in: xxxx
User Pass: xxxxx

Then, select TimeMachine, Back Up Now. It works.

Once, on previous router firmware, when I was having a problem seeing the drive as an option to select in TimeMachine:

a) I did take the USB drive and connected it to the MacBook Pro and ran Disk Utility and Repaired Disk. (I don't know whether it helped, but it was a step I took.)

b) I re-connected the drive and restarted the router (unplugged, and replugged power).

I've used the same set up with a second AC68 at a friends house, setting up a 3TB desktop drive with power brick. There are 4 Macs with various OS versions, but mostly 10.8.4 or 10.8.6, backing up to that 3TB drive successfully. I recall using USB 2.

If the mount drive dialog doesn't come up, in menu bar select Go, and then Connect To Server.

Server Address:
afp://RT-AC68R-6xxx._afpovertcp._tcp.local [replacing xxx with the name of your disk or
afp://RT-AC68R-6028._afpovertcp._tcp.local]

That should prompt you for the log in Admin: [admin user name] and Password: [xxx]. The disk should then show up as a selectable device under Time Machine preferences.

When in doubt, a restart of the Mac doesn't hurt. Good luck.

yes - i was trying that - did not worked for me
f.e.: afp://RT-AC68R-XY._afpovertcp._tcp.local] - not possible to connect at all...

If you tried all of the steps and it still doesn't work for you, then try:

AC68R, Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.374_5656

And, repeat everything.

Sorry, I put everything down that I recall doing to get it to work. Good luck.

AC68R

Was: 3.0.0.4.374_5656 which TimeMachine worked fine

Now: Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.42_2, which TimeMachine also seems to be working well. Testing with 2 Macs.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!