What's new

Ac68u Ethernet cannot connect to internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

icefox

Occasional Visitor
Main question: I just moved into a new house with Ethernet cable already laid out. I thought I could enjoy some stable and super fast networking with my trusted ac68u. Well... it doesn’t work. My only device with a Ethernet port now is an old hp laptop. When I connect it to the wall Ethernet port, router thinks it’s connected, but win10 thinks there’s no internet. By running win10’s network diagnosis I can get internet (it says “default gateway error” and resets it), but any heavy use like Speedtest will immediately break it. The Ethernet cable length seems to have an effect too. With a short cable I can occasionally connect. In the farthest room I can’t even connect to the router (not just internet).

I’m running asuswrt stable v. I don’t recall changing any settings but is there any setting that may fix it? Or is ac68u naturally picky about Ethernet? Or maybe it’s a compatibility issue with my hp laptop?

Secondary question: the free sagemcom router works perfectly and sends a full speed connection to all rooms’ wall ports. It’s 5g signal is also stronger, meaning less speed deterioration in corners of the house. It’s shattering my belief in my ac68u. Is it normal its everyday performance no superior to just another throw in free router?

Include a diagram of how your network is layed out including the type of equipment including manufacturers of the modem, patch panel, router, and switch.

You should also buy a simple testor to verify that all the pairs of continuity and are pinned correctly. Perhaps what you think is Ethernet has been pinned for telephone service or is otherwise done incorrectly.

Include a diagram of how your network is layed out including the type of equipment including manufacturers of the modem, patch panel, router, and switch.

You should also buy a simple testor to verify that all the pairs of continuity and are pinned correctly. Perhaps what you think is Ethernet has been pinned for telephone service or is otherwise done incorrectly.
Thank you. But everything works perfectly if I replace my ac68u with the free isp router so the issue is likely with the router.

Thank you. But everything works perfectly if I replace my ac68u with the free isp router so the issue is likely with the router.

U nusual but possible. Are you sure you don't have two DHCP servers running on your network?

U nusual but possible. Are you sure you don't have two DHCP servers running on your network?
I don’t think so. My network is cable to modem to router to four Ethernet cables simple as that. With the ac68u as router my laptop won’t connect to internet at the four Ethernet cables. With the isp free router instead they do.

I just noticed my NAT acceleration (cut through forwarding) is on auto. Does it have anything to do with wired stability? I’ll give it a try.

I don’t think so. My network is cable to modem to router to four Ethernet cables simple as that. With the ac68u as router my laptop won’t connect to internet at the four Ethernet cables. With the isp free router instead they do.

I just noticed my NAT acceleration (cut through forwarding) is on auto. Does it have anything to do with wired stability? I’ll give it a try.

NAT acceleration won't hurt anything but probably isn't necessary unless you have a higher speed connection.

The only other thing I can suggest is to power down all your network equipment then power up your modem and then when it is online your router and finally your connecting devices.

You also might try factory resetting your router.

NAT acceleration won't hurt anything but probably isn't necessary unless you have a higher speed connection.

The only other thing I can suggest is to power down all your network equipment then power up your modem and then when it is online your router and finally your connecting devices.

You also might try factory resetting your router.
So I tried to disable NAT acceleration. Now three out of four ports in my house are working, but the farthest port still is not getting Internet. I can live with that. My impression is NAT acceleration disabled some fault correction, so the long cables are probably causing some errors. Thanks for the tips.

So I tried to disable NAT acceleration. Now three out of four ports in my house are working, but the farthest port still is not getting Internet. I can live with that. My impression is NAT acceleration disabled some fault correction, so the long cables are probably causing some errors. Thanks for the tips.

Might still want to get the ethernet cables/sockets checked out before hitting other problems in the future.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!