What's new

AC68U Lan Ports not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmm, good question. I guess there should be separate grounding for each house/main central.

It should be the same but it's an old system (houses build 1850ies, electrified 1938, partly renovated in the 1960ies, 80ies and 2012. So there might be strange things in there. I know I have one phase that is quite a lot higher loaded than the other.

That is worth investigating more in any case.. Should get it up on my prio-list...

For your use case, I suspect the Earth Grounds at each building should be bonded together to be at the same potential... to preclude a neutral line voltage difference between the two buildings that might induce ground currents/noise on the interconnecting data cable. Don't quote me, but if you have had issues, this could be something to consider.

OE

Yes, one unshielded cable about 50 meters through an old waterpipe (copper) to another house. But this device was not connected there when it stopped working, it might have been earlier. Could any damage be delayed?Feels unlikely..?
I have had other equipment fried byt this before so i try real hard to unplug the cables when theres thunderstorms.
Would it help with a shielded cable? I know there are plugs you can connect as protrection and I tried one but it didn't work, as in no traffic coming through..
My sportsmen's club has had a problem with blowing up gateways after bad thunderstorms. My belief is it is due to them running unshielded plenum grade cable between buildings in what looks to me to like a dipole antenna. We are going to replace that with shielded outdoor grade cable and grounded connectors which has the added benefit of being able to get wet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!