What's new

AC68U USB Drive Permissions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geofferson31

New Around Here
Hey all, I've recently set up a ASUS AC68U router and connected a hard drive to the USB 2.0 port. I've got it configured so that I can access the drive from my Windows 7 laptop and android tablet, but I apparently only have read access. Trying to make any changes to the drive through my laptop, I get an error message saying 'You need permission to perform this action'.
Any ideas how I can get proper access to this drive. I feel like I've tried everything. Thanks for any help.

geoff

Solved

I reformatted the drive and am no longer restricted by permission settings. Not sure if it was the reformatting or if it was changing from fat32 to ext3, but either way, problem solved.

back to square one

I could access the hard drive for a few days after reformatting, but it's now asking for permission to make any edits to this drive. When plugged directly into the PC, no permissions re necessary. When attached to the router and accessed remotely I'm unable to copy any files to the drive, or make any other changes.

Any ideas? If this is a common problem, I'd appreciate if someone could at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Check that your rw permissions are correct on the usb application> servers center> samba share page.

If you have more than 1 username check you're using the correct one with write permissions.

Hey all, I've recently set up a ASUS AC68U router and connected a hard drive to the USB 2.0 port. I've got it configured so that I can access the drive from my Windows 7 laptop and android tablet, but I apparently only have read access.

Same problem here. After having a look into the syslog I found out that there were unresolved errors on the USB Harddisk that led to remounting the filesystem read-only. I could restore RW access to the disk by running an e2fsck repair via putty...

Perhaps you have unresolved errors on your harddisk too?

Ciao
Gerald

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!