What's new

AC68U V2, Faster CPU doesn't improve wifi performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tts

Occasional Visitor
I have two AC68U, one is converted TM-AC1900 with 800M CPU, the other one is V2 with 1.4G CPU, all same factory firmware.

I put both router in AP mode, and noticed that there is not much difference in the wifi performance, the V2 is even slower in upload speed by ~100Mbps. Has anyone else observed this before?

A typical speedtest for converted TM-AC1900
Code:
    Latency:     5.37 ms   (0.33 ms jitter)
   Download:   674.24 Mbps (data used: 837.8 MB)                               
     Upload:   556.57 Mbps (data used: 703.8 MB)                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/12f3774a-ecbc-495d-a7b1-159c00992171

and typical speedtest for V2
Code:
    Latency:     5.39 ms   (0.42 ms jitter)
   Download:   665.73 Mbps (data used: 1.0 GB)                               
     Upload:   404.25 Mbps (data used: 557.1 MB)                               
Packet Loss:     0.7%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/d0e3ffcd-5a6f-4ffc-8d83-87ee88d64f26

I have
I put both router in AP mode, and noticed that there is not much difference in the wifi performance, the V2 is even slower in upload speed by ~100Mbps. Has anyone else observed this before?
I have observed more difference than that between different trial runs of a single router, not moved, taken just minutes apart. Microwave signals vary in strength for several reasons.

5.8GHz signals have a wavelength of about 52mm so anything nearby that might absorb, reflect or refract them needs to move only a couple of millimeters to interfere with measurements. That's why Tim has expensive shielded boxes to test equipment in.

I have

I have observed more difference than that between different trial runs of a single router, not moved, taken just minutes apart. Microwave signals vary in strength for several reasons.

5.8GHz signals have a wavelength of about 52mm so anything nearby that might absorb, reflect or refract them needs to move only a couple of millimeters to interfere with measurements. That's why Tim has expensive shielded boxes to test equipment in.
Actually, for my test run, the result on the multiple runs for the same router is about the same. Since I did it during midnight(less interfere), with only one client connected, exact same location.

I don't think so, because the cpu usage is around 60-80% under traffic. and then dropped to zero when traffic is gone.
Yes sorry, you are correct. I meant to say that in AP mode the CPU has no limiting effect on throughput. In other words "CPU doesn't improve wifi performance" because you'll hit the limit of the gigabit LAN port before you run out of CPU.

There might be some small variations related to CPU usage and traffic type, but to see the large drop in speed that you are I would look at the WiFi side of things rather than the CPU. Certainly you wouldn't get less throughput with a significantly faster CPU. I would try to find out why you had the 0.7% packet loss.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!