What's new

AC68U wan port dead that was used as backhaul for AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshua Price

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC68U that I used as a AiMesh node. I recently experienced that the wan port is not working any longer. I used it for the AiMesh backhaul. Is there anyway to switch the AiMesh backhaul to Lan1 instead of Wan?

Had to delete; realized the LAN clients could NOT forward to the WAN.

Last edited:
That sucks., I don't think it would work anyway, because AiMesh requires a reset before it can be activated as a node.. I would really love to modify the firmrware itself to switch it in the flash itself... so lan 4 would become wan and wan would become the lan 4 port. I realize I would have to modify future firmware updates before flashing but at least this AiMesh node would still be useful....

It may very well still be possible, but at the moment, I don't know the "trick".

This is the problem w/ OEM/stock firmware that does NOT support user manageable VLANs. Something like this would be trival w/ DD-WRT or FreshTomato using the GUI. But ASUS has chosen NOT to offer this capability. A serious limitation for power users imo.

It may very well still be possible, but at the moment, I don't know the "trick".

This is the problem w/ OEM/stock firmware that does NOT support user manageable VLANs. Something like this would be trival w/ DD-WRT or FreshTomato using the GUI. But ASUS has chosen NOT to offer this capability. A serious limitation for power users imo.
Yea, shame.. Cause other than that I love the Merlinwrt branded asus firmware... The flexibility of AiMesh makes Asus my #1 recommended router to my clients. I've been buying up the ac68u models on ebay for years for nodes and either the 5300/86/88 as main routers depending on the number of people in the house.

On a router or AP it is possible to map the WAN to a LAN port through the GUI (in the WAN/Dual WAN setting) . The problem is you don't have access to an AiMesh node's GUI. There may be some magic you could do in the NVRAM settings on the node (via ssh) but I'm not up on that stuff. If it were me, I'd just use the 68U as an AP. Then remap the WAN to LAN as above. Not that much of a loss over a Node and you'll still have the same wifi coverage.