What's new

AC86 gigabit speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have checked runner, and flow cache; both enabled. Even tried with Jumbo Frame enabled/disabled (no difference)

I know it seems counter-intutive, but on my 950/450 connection I can only hit about 300 on upload _UNLESS_ I enable adaptive QOS (I also use manual bandwidth control and explicitly set the upload and download bandwidth)

I presume you've already tried different cables from the ac86u to your ONT - when the provider came out and did a line test did they plug their test rig into the same cable as the ac86u is on, or did they plug in direct?

PC is an AMD II X4 w/6g RAM. HD is a seagate 1TB.

AMD Athlon II X4? This CPU is from 2009-2010. The most popular 640 model CPU Mark score is a little higher than Apple A9 Twister used in iPhone 6s. May not be the best PC to test Gigabit speeds on. It may have Gigabit NIC, but may not reach Gigabit speeds due to other hardware limitations.

There was a post on here the other day with someone experiencing issues between their desktop’s lan port and and the switch built into the ac86u - resolution ended up being to disable all the ‘green’ features on the ac86u switch chip (eee, eapd etc).

Not the best advice for AC86U in particular. Some routers of this model run on the thermal edge. The CPU has a thermal protection at 100C. CPU temperature should be monitored closely, if power saving features are disabled.

Not the best advice for AC86U in particular. Some routers of this model run on the thermal edge. The CPU has a thermal protection at 100C. CPU temperature should be monitored closely, if power saving features are disabled.

this was JUST the 'green ethernet' features - ( ethapd, eee, dgm ) - whilst they will cause a slight increase in temps (espec if using all 4 lan ports) for most people it's disabling the cpu wait option in pwrctl that will really boost temps

I know it seems counter-intutive, but on my 950/450 connection I can only hit about 300 on upload _UNLESS_ I enable adaptive QOS (I also use manual bandwidth control and explicitly set the upload and download bandwidth)

I presume you've already tried different cables from the ac86u to your ONT - when the provider came out and did a line test did they plug their test rig into the same cable as the ac86u is on, or did they plug in direct?
Yes, they disconnected the coax from the modem and connected to their test equipment. For the connection between router/modem I’ve use both cat 5e/6

AMD Athlon II X4? This CPU is from 2009-2010. The most popular 640 model CPU Mark score is a little higher than Apple A9 Twister used in iPhone 6s. May not be the best PC to test Gigabit speeds on. It may have Gigabit NIC, but may not reach Gigabit speeds due to other hardware limitations.
Yeah, I know it’s an older computer but it’s ran well for my needs. But a little confused then I guess by your comment. So given the test that I ran showing the card could hit that, and if the modem can push it, I still may not be able to get those speeds based on the computers hardware? It was only briefly, but I did at least on one occasion see 700+ on one speed test before it dropped back down to the 300s

I didn’t see a difference when I enabled the QOS, unless their was a setting I missed. Tried, traditional, and cake

I didn’t see a difference when I enabled the QOS, unless their was a setting I missed. Tried, traditional, and cake

try adaptive Qos - cake is seriously cpu bound at high line rates

also you said they tested by disconnecting the cable modem and using their gear - have you verified you can get full speed direct from the pc to cable modem bypassing the ac86u - you could have a defective modem

I'll give QoS a shot once I get home this afternoon. No, haven't tried their equipment yet. They were suppose to give that a try but haven't called back. I'm still thinking its a defective modem, but based on what @Tech9 mentioned it may actually be the computer which will I don't intend on replacing just yet. I have another modem coming in today to try. If that one doesn't work any better I may have to resign to the fact it's the computers age, and just deal with it on a lower speed plan.

If your athlon can hit gigabit rates on iperf3 ( which it did ) then it’s fine - if anything iperf3 is harder on cpu than Speedtest

I'll give QoS a shot once I get home this afternoon. No, haven't tried their equipment yet. They were suppose to give that a try but haven't called back. I'm still thinking its a defective modem, but based on what @Tech9 mentioned it may actually be the computer which will I don't intend on replacing just yet. I have another modem coming in today to try. If that one doesn't work any better I may have to resign to the fact it's the computers age, and just deal with it on a lower speed plan.
Give FlexQOS a try with Adaptive QOS manual settings at 95% of your rated bandwidth.
And high bandwidth is not all it is cracked up to be! My household is very pleased with 100/100 FIOS plan and I actually get 110/110 !

Give FlexQOS a try with Adaptive QOS manual settings at 95% of your rated bandwidth.
And high bandwidth is not all it is cracked up to be! My household is very pleased with 100/100 FIOS plan and I actually get 110/110 !
Hadn't considered FlexQOS. I'll start doing some reading on it. That's alot to digest. Not sure I'm quite sure I could get that portion working correctly.

Last edited:
Hadn't considered FlexQOS. I'll start doing some reading on it. That's alot to digest. Not sure I'm quite sure I could get that portion working correctly.
flexqos is just a front end sitting on top of the stock adaptive QOS - allows deeper tuning of QOS rules