What's new

AC86U 382.1_beta3 OpenVPN Server Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vwsplitty1980

Occasional Visitor
i use the ios openvpn app to connect to my router, this was working fine with my old setup using rt-n66u but since i have transfered over to the AC86U i keep getting an error in the ios app no matter what settings i use in the config of the open vpn server. The error i keep getting in the app is:

"openvpn error: polarSSL: error parsing ca certificate : X509 - the CRT/CRL/CSR format is invalid, eg different type expected"

config one tried:
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote (removed ip and port)
float
ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server
<ca>
</ca>
resolv-retry infinite
nobind

another config tried:
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote (removed ip and port)
float
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server
<ca>
</ca>
resolv-retry infinite
nobind

edit:

it would seem none of the certs/fill fill the boxes with any information?

Attachments

• vpnp.jpg
    vpnp.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
The way the VPN is configured (stored in the back end) in 382 is vastly different from 380. I’d go back to the latest non beta release if I were you. You may have to re-build all the config from scratch anyway to make it work. Hopefully you have a backup you can restore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way the VPN is configured (stored in the back end) in 382 is vastly different from 380. I’d go back to the latest non beta release if I were you. You may have to re-build all the config from scratch anyway to make it work. Hopefully you have a backup you can restore...

Does the 86U have 380.x based firmware? Maybe stock Asus but definitely not Asuswrt-Merlin.

Does the 86U have 380.x based firmware? Maybe stock Asus but definitely not Asuswrt-Merlin.

Well either way not on a beta version!

At least that would confirm if it’s a router migration/config thing or a beta issue.

Did you enter the content of your CA? Your <ca> block is empty.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

im using 382.1 beta 3 as in here http://www.mediafire.com/file/7fvibpmwdnaz84h/RT-AC86U_382.1_beta3.zip

i did start the config from scratch but just copied over what settings i used before in the n66u. i also just used the default setting in server 2 and exported that config.

in the old firmware the cert and key boxes were auto populated it would seem after i input my setting.

in this version i get blank boxes in the keys and certs field?

Attachments

• vpnp.jpg
    vpnp.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 676
  • beta.jpg
    beta.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 408
im using 382.1 beta 3 as in here http://www.mediafire.com/file/7fvibpmwdnaz84h/RT-AC86U_382.1_beta3.zip

i did start the config from scratch but just copied over what settings i used before in the n66u. i also just used the default setting in server 2 and exported that config.

in the old firmware the cert and key boxes were auto populated it would seem after i input my setting.

in this version i get blank boxes in the keys and certs field?

Those are only automatically created if you start from a non-configured instance and you enable it for the first time. Reset your server to its default settings, then enable it. A CA will be generated then, as well as a DH and a client key/cert pair.

Those are only automatically created if you start from a non-configured instance and you enable it for the first time. Reset your server to its default settings, then enable it. A CA will be generated then, as well as a DH and a client key/cert pair.

Yes that was I did in the first place. But just to be sure I have done as you said and defaulted the Server config. I still get the same error that no certs are populated- Server 1 and 2 give the same result.

And just to be double sure I reset the whole router to defaults put in no other settings other that the ones at start up to get internet.

Generated a default OpenVPN Server config but still nothing in the Certs and keys section.

I am at a bit of a lost as what it could be?

One thing to not le I guess is I am using the Asia version of the router with language set to English and wireless set to Europe but not sure how/if this could affect it.

Did you try to enable the 2nd server?, do you have the certificate field populated?, you may work around this by using only user/password till you get this sorted out

Did you try to enable the 2nd server?, do you have the certificate field populated?, you may work around this by using only user/password till you get this sorted out
Hi

Yes tried on both the second and first server but still the same.

I am using user and password to log in?

Hi

Yes tried on both the second and first server but still the same.

I am using user and password to log in?
You can define a user/pw mode only and ignore certificate verification, set user / password auth.only to 'yes'. Again it's a temp solution only.

Not sure what else to tell you, it's working correctly for me.

Maybe try to click on Apply before clicking on the Export button, see if it makes a difference in the exported ovpn file (the content should be there in the <ca> block).

Not sure what else to tell you, it's working correctly for me.

Maybe try to click on Apply before clicking on the Export button, see if it makes a difference in the exported ovpn file (the content should be there in the <ca> block).

Yes all very strange indeed.

I was going to try and load the lastest official ASUS firmware and give it a go.
Do I need to do anything special either than resetting to default before loading the official ASUS release over this?

No, just make sure to do the factory default reset after flashing.