What's new

AC86U 5G SSID occasionally disappears

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From the moment I set a fixed channel for 5Ghz, I have not seen this issue, so I doubt it is HW related.
Ah. I never use the Auto channel option on any router, so have no experience of whether it works properly or not.

I have seen this a couple of times with my new AC86U.
If I want to try setting the 5Ghz instead of Auto, what settings would you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance!
-bk

Thanks OE.
Since my router has been in operation for just a week now, I want to observe it's behavior prior to making changes.

I initially used the recommendations on this forum and cloned my old N66U credentials. Everything went perfectly - super fast, amazing range. Then, two days in, one of my 3 Rokus said "What 5ghz network??" It just couldn't find it. I didn't think of running WiFi Analyzer at the time. So, I just restarted the AC86U and all was well.

Yesterday, my S10+ couldn't find my 5ghz channel, so I used my Chromebook to check my download speed on 5ghz and I watched it go from 500mbps down to zero, while my Roku was happily streaming in the same room of my house on the same 5ghz - so I'll presume that my 600mbps Comcast source was still operational. This is what prompted my question on this thread.

I plan to watch the behavior of the network to see if this happens again. If so, I'll use WiFi Analyzer to see what's going on. I'll then use your settings and see if that's the fix. I've also read that turning off the AI/Trend Micro features may be a good idea.

Thanks for the support!

Thanks OE.
Since my router has been in operation for just a week now, I want to observe it's behavior prior to making changes.

I initially used the recommendations on this forum and cloned my old N66U credentials. Everything went perfectly - super fast, amazing range. Then, two days in, one of my 3 Rokus said "What 5ghz network??" It just couldn't find it. I didn't think of running WiFi Analyzer at the time. So, I just restarted the AC86U and all was well.

Yesterday, my S10+ couldn't find my 5ghz channel, so I used my Chromebook to check my download speed on 5ghz and I watched it go from 500mbps down to zero, while my Roku was happily streaming in the same room of my house on the same 5ghz - so I'll presume that my 600mbps Comcast source was still operational. This is what prompted my question on this thread.

I plan to watch the behavior of the network to see if this happens again. If so, I'll use WiFi Analyzer to see what's going on. I'll then use your settings and see if that's the fix. I've also read that turning off the AI/Trend Micro features may be a good idea.

Thanks for the support!

What does 'clone credentials' mean?

Be sure to reset to factory defaults before configuring new firmware. :)

OE

I config'ed per OE, except I kept Universal Beamforming enabled.
Network has been 100% stable for the past 24 hours. More time will tell.

I live out in the boonies - there's really no reason that I can see for my router to be changing channels all day (I observed this) since there's 0% congestion. I think manually setting the channels might be the central fix here.

Thanks again OE!

I config'ed per OE, except I kept Universal Beamforming enabled.

Yeah, I've only disabled this on a 68U at one site to fix a troubled Intel 6300 WLAN adapter in a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop, circa 6/2010.

OE