What's new

AC86U 5GHz Randomly Dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sohaib Sarwar

Occasional Visitor
For the last week's. I have been struggling with the 5GHz frequency on my RT-AC86U router randomly dropping off. I am running the latest version of Merlin 384.8_2... Anyone having this issue? I do have another Asus router N900 setup as AP running on different channel. I nebnehad this issue before.. could it be the latest firmware??

Mine is running great since new for 2 months without any dropout issues. 100% uptime. I only use 5g, 2.4 is off.

Same router and same firmware. Almost 2 months with no issues. I use both 2.4 and 5g.

What 5 GHz channel and channel bandwidth are you using? Perhaps this is causing the performance issues.

I did manually choose a channel and bandwidth, this may have avoided an issue that Auto settings could have caused.

EDIT: 153/80

Last edited:
I have 5Ghz Drop sometimes as well but I have to manually connect back. I believe when the signal is weak it does not reconnect. I have since moved the router to a central location of the home and the signal now reaches throughout.

As for me, the 5GHZ does not reach the end of my home so I have to use the 2.4 Ghz which works with a better range and remains stable.

I am having the same issue and below is the post (I probably should change the "occasionally" to "frequently"). However, there are some 5G devices are still connected well (TV, Google Home Hub etc.) but all cameras dropped, and when I conduct speedtest on 5G (if I could connect) the speed will fluctuate drastically before it went down to almost zero) . I may need to spend some time to flash the router when I have time.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-5g-ssid-occasionally-disappears.50178/

Hello, I solved my problem by doing a hard reset on the router.

I restored the default firmware from Asus, did a factory reset and then performed the hard reset.

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

After the hard reset I installed the merlin firmware, did a factory reset and then I set it up.

I hope it solves yours.

Hello, I solved my problem by doing a hard reset on the router.

I restored the default firmware from Asus, did a factory reset and then performed the hard reset.

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

After the hard reset I installed the merlin firmware, did a factory reset and then I set it up.

I hope it solves yours.
What router was this on?

Hi!

AC86U - Production Date 09.2018

Operating mode 24 \ 7 \ 365. Additional fan on the rear panel. The temperature is not higher than 63g on the CPU.
VPN \ DLNA \ 3 wi-fi network \ home LAN

The Wi-Fi signal has disappeared completely. Indicators 2.4 and 5 are off. It appears as "disable" in the Tools menu, although in the basic settings the radio module is active. Wi-Fi on / off side button does not respond. Everything works perfectly on cable.

Reset settings did.
Factory fw reloaded.
Symptoms: Missing wifi guest. Turned on and off the 2.4Hz radio module slider. Has appeared. After rebooting, there are no networks. None. Passed in warranty RMA

DSC_9971.JPG DSC_9973.JPG

Hi!

AC86U - Production Date 09.2018

Operating mode 24 \ 7 \ 365. Additional fan on the rear panel. The temperature is not higher than 63g on the CPU.
VPN \ DLNA \ 3 wi-fi network \ home LAN

The Wi-Fi signal has disappeared completely. Indicators 2.4 and 5 are off. It appears as "disable" in the Tools menu, although in the basic settings the radio module is active. Wi-Fi on / off side button does not respond. Everything works perfectly on cable.

Reset settings did.
Factory fw reloaded.
Symptoms: Missing wifi guest. Turned on and off the 2.4Hz radio module slider. Has appeared. After rebooting, there are no networks. None. Passed in warranty RMA

View attachment 21165 View attachment 21166

At this point what you should try L&LD's nuclear reset and manually reenter all settings after updating to latest firmware.

If that doesn't work time to try an RMA and see what ASUS says. While in the US the typical warranty was 12 months who knows you may get lucky and ASUS will help you out. Be aware that you will have to pay for return shipping and if ASUS deems your router irreparable you will be out the cost and still not have a working router.

Unfortunately your router was manufactured in 2018, which is when there more than typical number of problems with this model and most of the problems where related to the radios.

At this point what you should try L&LD's nuclear reset and manually reenter all settings after updating to latest firmware.

If that doesn't work time to try an RMA and see what ASUS says. While in the US the typical warranty was 12 months who knows you may get lucky and ASUS will help you out. Be aware that you will have to pay for return shipping and if ASUS deems your router irreparable you will be out the cost and still not have a working router.

Unfortunately your router was manufactured in 2018, which is when there more than typical number of problems with this model and most of the problems where related to the radios.

Thanks for the tips. I already did a hard reset and, moreover, I did a firmware restore through the WPS button.
I did not know that the devices created in 2018 have any problems with the radio unit. I bought one of the first after its announcement on sale.
In my area, the warranty for the device is 36 months. So I passed it under a replacement warranty.

PS :
Date of inspection: 2020-02-03 00:00:00
Willingness: NOT ready
Awaiting spare part

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!