What's new

[AC86U] DNS resolution periodically failing for some devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FestiveFuneral

New Around Here
My main devices on my network are Windows. I have a Linux-based NAS that I am usually able to access via hostname. Periodically, my windows devices are unable to resolve the IP from the hostname. I am not really sure how to diagnose the cause of this problem.

Have you changed any DNS-related settings on the router from their default values, e.g. LAN > DHCP Server? Or are you using a router feature that alters DNS, e.g. DNSFilter, VPN, etc.?

When you experience the problem on a Windows PC try to resolve the NAS's hostname from the Windows command line and post the result. e.g.

nslookup mynas

Hmm, check if your WAN is down during the time period when you cannot resolve these hostnames. I remember there was an issue regarding that: when the WAN is down, dnsmasq was not working correctly.

Anything in the system log during that time?

So interesting thing came up yesterday with my laptop. Noticed I could no longer surf internet so naturally I assumed router down or cable modem down. Looked at Ooma box and it was blue (fine) and kids were still doing school work. Tried to use putty to get into router and got network buffer error. Found out that Avast AV can cause this issue and others in my household have stated they randomly loose "internet" but system log afterwards on router shows nothing.. Removed Avast from my laptop (and others) and so far so good.

Gave up on avast years ago. Always was a pain.

Have you changed any DNS-related settings on the router from their default values, e.g. LAN > DHCP Server? Or are you using a router feature that alters DNS, e.g. DNSFilter, VPN, etc.?

When you experience the problem on a Windows PC try to resolve the NAS's hostname from the Windows command line and post the result. e.g.

nslookup mynas

Honestly not sure what the defaults are anymore. I have fiddled with those settings in the past, trying to provide cloudflare or google as a default dns, but that messed up my resolution on a much bigger scale (don't really remember anymore).

Currently:

Enable DHCP: Yes
Hide: DHCP/RA queries: no
Domain Name: <empty>
IP pool starting: 192.168.1.200
IP pool ending: 192.168.1.254
Lease time: 86400
Default gateway: <empty>

Dns 1: <empty>
Dns 2: <empty>
Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS: Yes (I think this one is non-default, but I don't remember)
WINS: <empty>
<Manual assignment: Yes (I use MAC to lock in certain IPs)

I ran nslookup last time. I don't remember what the exact result was, but it was unsuccessful.

There was nothing in the system log at the time that I looked, but I don't know how long the problem situation was in effect by the time I noticed ( I don't do this every day), so I may have missed something, possibly days old. WAN is definitely not down during this time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!