What's new

AC86U - fiber , Lan = 900Mb WiFi = 60Mb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ofir Arbel

New Around Here
Hello
I have the ASUS AC86U with Merlin and I have a strange problem .
I am connected to a fiber with 1gb provider and I’m getting that speed when I’m connected with cable to the switch.
But when I’m checking my WiFi speed just near the router with my iPhone 11 Pro Max I’m getting only 60Mb speed . I’m on the 2.4.

what can be the problem ? I also got this situation when I was on the stock firmware

thanks

Wi-Fi is subject to interference and signal degradation. 60Mbps sounds about right for 2.4GHz in a noisy environment. You can try switching the channel on 5GHz to something that's not too commonly used around you to see if it helps.

Make sure your 2.4 channel is 1, 6, or 11. Try whichever one of those is the least impacted by neighboring APs (as measured at the router's location).

The observed bandwidth will be affected by the Wi-Fi channel width you choose (20MHz, 40MHz, 80MHz, etc). In practice I choose the narrowest one because most uses need no more than 5Mbps, and the range is more consistent.

On 5 I’m getting 157mb download
60Mbps over 2.4GHz isn't bad really, but your speed over 5GHz is a little lacking.

i have symmetric Gigabit service, and speed tests show 940Mbps in both directions over wired ethernet. over 2.4GHz wifi, i get upwards of 100+ Mbps, but speeds can be all over the place in the crowded 2.4GHz spectrum; and 5GHz, i get a steady ~500Mbps in both directions, using my iPhone 11 connected to AC86U in AP mode. btw, i always use the higher channels on the 5GHz band (149, 153, 157, 161); the lower channels are just awful for speed ime, and i set the channel bandwidth to Auto (20/40/80 MHz).

My Issue is different in a Wired inviroment. I have new ZIPly fiber gig. I set QOS on the Router at 999 or 1000 and I get 100 up and down no matter what. I remove QOS and band width returnes
RT-ac68u latest Merlin build
Yes everything is setup as gig on my ports

My Issue is different in a Wired inviroment. I have new ZIPly fiber gig. I set QOS on the Router at 999 or 1000 and I get 100 up and down no matter what. I remove QOS and band width returnes
RT-ac68u latest Merlin build
Yes everything is setup as gig on my ports
QoS needs a lot of compute power therefore your bandwidth suffers. In the process CTF is turned off. Keep QoS off for the full bandwidth, you don't need QoS for GBit bandwidth.

Turned off Spanning tree and QOS its not at Gig speed. I disagree with QOS not being needed. QOS is there for a reason, I will establish new rules and validate if we are right or wrong on this.

Quick 5 min test update
Ya QOS bogs the Asus down to peg both CPUs (Mine RT-ac68u 384-19) Results with at Least Asus hardware, QOS on = barley speeds over 100mb/s QOS off SP off = 900 + mb/s

Last edited:
Turned off Spanning tree and QOS its not at Gig speed. I disagree with QOS not being needed. QOS is there for a reason, I will establish new rules and validate if we are right or wrong on this.

Quick 5 min test update
Ya QOS bogs the Asus down to peg both CPUs (Mine RT-ac68u 384-19) Results with at Least Asus hardware, QOS on = barley speeds over 100mb/s QOS off SP off = 900 + mb/s
QoS is useful if the bandwidth is limited then it is beneficial to prioritize the packets. As long as you don't saturate your Gbit bandwidth, QoS hardly provides any benefits with the downside that the router cannot keep up anymore.
A more powerful router gives you more bandwidth with QoS but I am not sure if ASUS has any consumer router that provides full Gbit bandwidth with QoS enabled.

You need a desktop class CPU or specialized hardware to handle that kind of load.

You need a desktop class CPU or specialized hardware to handle that kind of load.
desktop class CPU? Do not understand that, unless you are referring to the router
Admitting the RT-ac68 is a tad under powered 2core 800mhz, compared to more up to date, it should not no matter what cut the bandwidth down to 100/100. With SPanning tree off it then will register between 3xx and 6xx, QOS off its 9xx/9xx

But I understand

desktop class CPU? Do not understand that, unless you are referring to the router

I mean the router needs to have something more powerful than an ARM Cortex CPU, something along the lines of an x86 CPU as used in a computer rather than an embedded device. NAT + traffic classification can be quite CPU intensive.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!