What's new

AC86U: Frequently Unregisters Itself (wfd_unregisterdevice)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salieri

Occasional Visitor
Merlin Firmware Version = 384.16
Router = AC86U
2nd Router = AC68U AiMesh Node

I seem to get this message in my logs every 30-60 minutes:

Apr 27 09:37:18 kernel: wfd_unregisterdevice Successfully unregistered ifidx 2 wfd_idx 0
Apr 27 09:37:19 kernel: wfd_unregisterdevice Successfully unregistered ifidx 1 wfd_idx 1
Apr 27 09:37:23 kernel: wfd_registerdevice Successfully registered dev wds1.0.1 ifidx 1 wfd_idx 1
Apr 27 09:37:23 kernel: Register interface [wds1.0.1] MAC: d4:5d:64:0c:XX:XX
Apr 27 09:37:26 kernel: wfd_registerdevice Successfully registered dev wds0.0.1 ifidx 2 wfd_idx 0
Apr 27 09:37:26 kernel: Register interface [wds0.0.1] MAC: d4:5d:64:0c:XX:XX
Apr 27 09:37:27 kernel: wfd_unregisterdevice Successfully unregistered ifidx 1 wfd_idx 1
Apr 27 09:37:28 kernel: wfd_registerdevice Successfully registered dev wds1.0.1 ifidx 1 wfd_idx 1
Apr 27 09:37:28 kernel: Register interface [wds1.0.1] MAC: d4:5d:64:0c:XX:XX

I've tried searching and was unable to find an explanation as to why this happens. The MAC Addresses being called out are my primary router's ...both 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ. When this does happen, it's dropping my AiMesh Node long enough for one of my devices (that is wired into the node - SmartThings hub) to complain about it (notes it went offline).

Questions:

1) What does this message mean?
2) Why does this happen?
3) How might I stabilize this?

Thanks in advance for any insight...

How far apart are the nodes? What is the backhaul used?

Are you using SmartConnect on the RT-AC86U? (It isn't compatible with the RT-AC68U).

Are you using the same SSID's for both bands? Are you using Auto Control Channels? What are the bandwidths used for the bands?

@L&LD

To answer your questions:

1) They're 20 feet apart
2) Backhaul is wireless
3) No SmartConnect. Wow, that's good to know regarding the compatibility.
4) They SSID's are the same for both bands.
5) My Channels for both 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ are fixed channels.
6) Bandwidth for 5GHZ is 20/40/80 and 2.4 GHZ is 20

If they're 20 feet apart, do you really need an AiMesh wireless node? :)

With the same SSID's for both bands, I can see that may be causing some issues? What fixed control channels are in use?

@L&LD

The short answer was poor router placement due to where my home office is + cable modem + wanting ethernet on my desktop (I'm in a rental place). Regardless, with that placement being so close, you'd "think" this should work well...:)

Out of curiosity, why would the same SSID's for both bands cause issues?

Based on the Wireless Survey, 2.4GHZ is 1, and 5GHZ is 149. I just switched the 5GHZ Bandwidth to 80MHZ.

I'm starting to seriously question this whole AiMesh technology Asus has created. It seems very unstable and a non-trivial exercise to configure properly. If it wasn't for all the features of Merlin's firmware, I'd probably ditch this setup and find another manufacturer.

This is probably a stretch, but does Asus have any meaningful documentation on how to set this up properly? For example, one user on this forum said 'Smart Connect' will not work because my AiMesh node is an AC68U. Cool, never would have figured that out without someone telling me.

It is possible to have same SSID, but it's an inconvenience for you. On a 5GHz capable client now you determine which SSID is for 2.4GHz and 5GHz and where this client connects? For that reason I prefer to have different SSID and not use SmartConnect, even if available.

For example, one user on this forum said 'Smart Connect' will not work because my AiMesh node is an AC68U.

SmartConnect is not supported by RT-AC68U. You should figure it out not supported equals to not available, not working. There is no AX support in RT-AC68U. You don't expect to get AX mesh by just replacing your main router with AX one, do you? AiMesh doesn't magically replicate main router capabilities to nodes.

@L&LD

The short answer was poor router placement due to where my home office is + cable modem + wanting ethernet on my desktop (I'm in a rental place). Regardless, with that placement being so close, you'd "think" this should work well...:)

Based on the Wireless Survey, 2.4GHZ is 1, and 5GHZ is 149. I just switched the 5GHZ Bandwidth to 80MHZ.

I'm starting to seriously question this whole AiMesh technology Asus has created. It seems very unstable and a non-trivial exercise to configure properly. If it wasn't for all the features of Merlin's firmware, I'd probably ditch this setup and find another manufacturer.

This is probably a stretch, but does Asus have any meaningful documentation on how to set this up properly? For example, one user on this forum said 'Smart Connect' will not work because my AiMesh node is an AC68U. Cool, never would have figured that out without someone telling me.
I have tested AiMesh on an AC86U main router with an AC66U_B1 (same as the AC68U). 2.4 GHZ set to 20 Mhz ch 11. 5 GHZ set to 20, 40, 80 MHZ ch 36. Units about 30 ft apart through 3 walls. Tested with Merlin 384.16 and Asus 3.0.0.4.384_81792. Both rock solid connection! I am currently running Asus 3.0.0.4.384_81792 with SmartConnect and plan to fire up the AC66U_B1 this afternoon and try AiMesh with SmartConnect just to see what it does. Will report back later.

Edit: Reporting back that AiMesh worked well with SmartConnect enabled on the AC86U with the AC66U_B1 with Firmware 3.0.0.4.385.20433. AiMesh connected with the 5 GHZ band. Was pleased to see a couple of devices switch to the mesh node without prompting

Last edited:
You don't expect to get AX mesh by just replacing your main router with AX one, do you? AiMesh doesn't magically replicate main router capabilities to nodes.
OP said nothing about AX. The routers he reported are both AC. AC86U does have SmartConnect.

OP said nothing about AX.

It was an example of another unsupported feature on the node you can't expect working across AiMesh setup. Asus may have to mention AiMesh setup is node capabilities dependent. As you see some people expect main router capabilities extended to nodes.

@salieri, I too believed that AiMesh was a bad science project (and it was back then). But if used as intended it is effectively bullet-proof.

Any options available on any system doesn't mean those options should be used. Testing and adjusting the 'knobs' as required for stability and maximum performance is a bonus, not a detriment of the system.

I wouldn't think AiMesh would work well when the main and the node is only 20' apart. Unless a brick/concrete wall was being overcome.

In your situation, I would turn off the node and test 5GHz control channels starting at 36. If your office can be re-configured, put your desktop or laptop computer as close as possible to the RT-AC86U that you can (without you being directly in the way).

There are many better options to try and test before firing up that node again. :)

If the node really is needed, consider using it simply as a Media Bridge. Much more stable and performant (at least for your wired clients).

If AiMesh is needed and required, then do a full reset to factory defaults (M&M Config in my signature's link) on the main router and do a full reset to factory defaults/Initialize all settings on the node and then don't touch it. Simply go to the main router and link it as an AiMesh node. Done.

See the excellent AiMesh notes from @OzarkEdge below.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

I seriously love the support on this forum, this is awesome. Thank you to everyone who responded to me.

@L&LD - In regards to your response, this is pretty much what I did:

1) I used the 'Wi-Fi Radar' option to get a better idea of the channels around me.
2) Tested the ones I could use and picked accordingly (I'm in a high density residential area).
3) Read @OzarkEdge 's notes (thank you) and made some adjustments to the network.
4) Did a factory reset on my AiMesh Node and re-added it.

I fired up a bunch of devices to stress test the AiMesh Node. Seems to be working very well *knock on wood.*

I originally started with an AC86U running Merlin Firmware back in 2014 and decided to upgrade to an AC86U to get rid of the dead spots in my house. A lot more to this than I thought.

Lessons Learned:

1) The settings to run an AiMesh Network appear to be a LOT more sensitive than I thought. Before using this, I had a couple of old repeaters that functioned with minimal effort broadcasting to my AC68U. This is a much different animal entirely. Testing and adjusting knobs is definitely critical.

2) Wireless Channels (in my case being in a dense neighborhood) need to have minimal interference or having a wireless backhaul is useless (the prior channels I used on my AC68U while they worked fine, were not cutting it on this new AiMesh setup). I completely underestimated this and this seems to have been my root cause to begin with.

Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Last edited:
I'm seeing the same logging messages on my AX88U in exactly 12 hour intervals. I rebooted this morning at 0704 and I watched the syslog at 1904 to see both my 2.4G band and 5G band unregister/register themselves on the main router. This drops the connection to the wireless node for a split second which is enough to also drop half my devices. Did you ever really figure out what the issue was? Did you get the messages to stop?

I'm seeing the same logging messages on my AX88U in exactly 12 hour intervals. I rebooted this morning at 0704 and I watched the syslog at 1904 to see both my 2.4G band and 5G band unregister/register themselves on the main router. This drops the connection to the wireless node for a split second which is enough to also drop half my devices. Did you ever really figure out what the issue was? Did you get the messages to stop?
Replying to myself .. I had a second node (AX58U) in wireless backhaul. Something with this device was causing my deregistrations as once I removed the node (as it really wasn't needed), all issues and logs went away.

I'm seeing that exact behaviour with the same main router and node(AX88U and AX58U), every 12 hrs it disconnects and connects. I've tried multiple config options and even another AX58U just for the heck of it to see if it was faulty hardware, so it must be a bug specific to the AX88U as I don't see that behaviour on multiple AC68U AiMesh networks that my family and friends have,

Same setup (AX88U + AX58U) and same result, drop and reconnecting at 12 hour intervals. Not cru related as it happens approx 12 hours after either device is rebooted. Not a problem as reconnect is fast enough that nobody is complaining, but still curious as to why it is happening. Both devices full WPS reset + manual reconfig after upgrade to 386.1_2

I'm glad I wasn't the only one seeing this behavior. Mine was happening every 12 hours to the minute, and ONLY when connected via wireless backhaul. Not seen over Ethernet backhaul.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!