What's new

AC86U - Got fiber 1Gbps but got 450Mbs with 5Ghz wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psylo31

New Around Here
Hello,

I got a Asus AC86U with fresh flashed firmware merlin 386.1 and i put my router behind the internet box as WAN.
If i put a RJ45 cable cat 5e on my AC86U i got ~900Mbs , but if i try with wifi 5Ghz near the router i got ~ max 450Mbs.
I got
Runner: Enabled - Flow Cache: Enabled
I try to change lot of options but always limited to 450Mbs.
i i try speed test on router section : in Qos Adaptative > Speed Test, i got ~ 500/600Mbs Max

I dont understand why i'm limited ?
Am I to the max speed of wifi 5Ghz ?

Thanks for your help

Hello,

I got a Asus AC86U with fresh flashed firmware merlin 386.1 and i put my router behind the internet box as WAN.
If i put a RJ45 cable cat 5e on my AC86U i got ~900Mbs , but if i try with wifi 5Ghz near the router i got ~ max 450Mbs.
I got
i i try speed test on router section : in Qos Adaptative > Speed Test, i got ~ 500/600Mbs Max

Thanks for your help
Sounds like good speeds on wifi. WiFi will Never be more than 50%-60% of link rate. Google wifi speed vs ethernet and wifi speed half ethernet speed and read up.

Good reading here: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#recommendation

Last edited:
Have you got a high end wifi card on the client? I mean I don't have 1gb I have 500, but I get about 480 over wifi. Try buying an AX Wifi Card. (A bit of future proof for you there as well) they don't cost much.

Wifi card is super important.
Driver quality is critical.
Also, try to test wifi speed while laptop is charging, not while running on battery. (My X1 Carbon V7 is doing a bit over 300mbps on battery and about 500 on charger, but it's running Debian and Wifi drivers are far from good).
A Windows laptop I have, plenty of RAM, powerful I7 CPU, 2x2 Intel adapter is doing 700mbps over a link of 866mbps. Can't ask for more unless I'm going for a 4x4 AX adapter (good luck finding that ultimate setup).

At the end of the day, 450mbps should cover most if not all user cases! If you actually need a full 1G (video editing?), the single best solution is ethernet.

Hello,

I got

Thanks for your help
450 to 500 Mbps over WiFi (and 900+ Mbps wired) is exactly what you should expect from the AC86U. those are the same numbers i get with my symmetric gigabit fibre connection.

Thank you all for your answers :)
So if i want more Mbps in wifi i must buy a wifi 6 router with 802.11ax and new wifi card ?
With this i could expect how many Mbps please ? (Dont understand how to convert theorical device specs and real life rate :p )

Have you got a high end wifi card on the client? I mean I don't have 1gb I have 500, but I get about 480 over wifi. Try buying an AX Wifi Card. (A bit of future proof for you there as well) they don't cost much.
Thanks i will see if i do that

Wifi card is super important.
Driver quality is critical.
Also, try to test wifi speed while laptop is charging, not while running on battery. (My X1 Carbon V7 is doing a bit over 300mbps on battery and about 500 on charger, but it's running Debian and Wifi drivers are far from good).
A Windows laptop I have, plenty of RAM, powerful I7 CPU, 2x2 Intel adapter is doing 700mbps over a link of 866mbps. Can't ask for more unless I'm going for a 4x4 AX adapter (good luck finding that ultimate setup).

At the end of the day, 450mbps should cover most if not all user cases! If you actually need a full 1G (video editing?), the single best solution is ethernet.
Thanks
No 450Mbs it's enough i just want to know if it's the max of my wifi.(I dont edit vidéo we are 2 developers at home so i want to get max rate of wifi :) )

at only a few metres away from my RT-AC86U, with a clear line of sight, no obstacles, and an RSSI of -47 dBm and Tx/Rx rate of 866 Mbps, my iPhone gets around 480 Mbps down and 550 Mbps up, with very low latency & jitter, on a gigabit connection.

edit: 545 Mbps over 5GHz was the fastest download speed i've ever achieved with the same iPhone, connected to a Synology AP using DFS channels, on the same network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which wifi card do you have? If it's 2x2, then you can achieve 867Mb/s...

With 160MHz channel width (if possible, in your local wireless environment) and an Intel AX210 or Intel AX200/AX201 (or better) wireless adaptor and an RT-AX88U or RT-AX86U (I have the latter, currently) you should be able to get the following speeds when you're closer to the router (about 25 to 30' line of sight, no obstacles. The latency may be a bit higher, but the speed may be higher too over Wi-Fi).

386.1 Final 2x RT-AX86Us 2.5GbE Backhaul

on my ax88 with 160MHz channel I get 850Mbps; with 80Mhz i get <500Mbps.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!