What's new

AC86U high Ram usage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

omiez

Occasional Visitor
Hello

I am running 384.14 on my AC86U and i see a very high ram usage, at the moment i am writing the router is using 475MB.

Is this normal or did i something wrong? I enabled DL Master , Media Server and Network Place. Beyond that i have a few rules in Port Forwarding and 3 Fixed Ip´s.

I think that 475MB used of 512 are very much but help me out and tell me if this is normal.

Would it be helpful to use a swap file and if yes how and where (HDD or External USB Drive) would you recommend configuring it?

Thank you in advance.

Hello

I am running 384.14 on my AC86U and i see a very high ram usage, at the moment i am writing the router is using 475MB.

Is this normal or did i something wrong? I enabled DL Master , Media Server and Network Place. Beyond that i have a few rules in Port Forwarding and 3 Fixed Ip´s.

I think that 475MB used of 512 are very much but help me out and tell me if this is normal.

Would it be helpful to use a swap file and if yes how and where (HDD or External USB Drive) would you recommend configuring it?

Thank you in advance.
Again? This gets asked at least once each week, usually more often. Yes, normal since Broadcom uses RAM differently. Here is the way to understand. The "high RAM used" is NOT used but cached for guicker availability and use when needed.
https://www.linuxatemyram.com/
This is what my AC86U shows now after over 2 weeks uptime.
Code:
Mem: 378852K used, 61568K free, 1192K shrd, 31428K buff, 69108K cached

Last edited:
Again? This gets asked at least once each week, usually more often. Yes, normal since Broadcom uses RAM differently. Here is the way to understand. The "high RAM used" is NOT used but cached for guicker availability and use when needed.
https://www.linuxatemyram.com/
I'm sorry for the repetitive post. Should have used the search button better.

Thank you for the reply, going to read it.

Network map shows me at 493 Mb used. The output from top shows the real world breakdown.
I'm sorry for the repetitive post. Should have used the search button better.

Thank you for the reply, going to read it.
Sorry to sound hard. This forum recommends searching before posting, that is always good.

For swap or any other of the invaluable scripts available from SNB, see this step by step to install and setup the wonderous AMTM from thelonelycoder compiled by L&LD, highly recommended by many!
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Last edited:
Network map shows me at 493 Mb used. The output from top shows the real world breakdown.

Sorry to sound hard. This forum recommends searching before posting, that is always good.

For swap or any other of the invaluable scripts available from SNB, see this step by step to install and setup the wonderous AMTM from thelonelycoder compiled by L&LD, highly recommended by many!
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421
Thank you for your help. Like i said before i am sorry for the repetitive post, forgot to use the search first, will not repeat this mistake next time.

Thank you for your help. Like i said before i am sorry for the repetitive post, forgot to use the search first, will not repeat this mistake next time.

Search then seek ;).
BTW - I also run AC86U and initially was concerned about high RAM usage compared to previous models used - saw the on topic threads and chilled!
However - at least part of the exceptional performance this models provides comes from its efficient caching and RAM usage abilities.

You will see from my signature that I also make extensive use of the tools provided by amtm - so plug in a suitable USB stick and at the very least, use amtm to format the USB - add a swap file [mine is 1Gb - but uses very little when needed] and the automatic disk check ... all under same amtm menu items.

The AC86U handles it all with ease :D - enjoy.

i got AC59U V2 got 90% ram usage and 4% single core usage, this caused me think my router is gone kaput :p so i am guessing its same for my router too since its using broadcom chip too.. ?

Last edited:
sorry :p, its RT-AC59U i edited it, and it is not good do not get it for the price and performance it offers , one is better off buying AC86U or maybe tplink with better specs.:D

Your router uses Qualcomm QCN5500 SoC, not Broadcom. This router is marketed in different countries as AC57U V2/AC58U V2/AC59U/AC59U V2/ACRH12/ACRH15 - Asus naming madness. All the same hardware with the same FCC ID. It's a budget router and does what it's made for.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!