AC86U high Ram usage?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

omiez

New Around Here
Hello

I am running 384.14 on my AC86U and i see a very high ram usage, at the moment i am writing the router is using 475MB.

Is this normal or did i something wrong? I enabled DL Master , Media Server and Network Place. Beyond that i have a few rules in Port Forwarding and 3 Fixed Ip´s.

I think that 475MB used of 512 are very much but help me out and tell me if this is normal.

Would it be helpful to use a swap file and if yes how and where (HDD or External USB Drive) would you recommend configuring it?

Thank you in advance.

Butterfly Bones

Very Senior Member
Hello

I am running 384.14 on my AC86U and i see a very high ram usage, at the moment i am writing the router is using 475MB.

Is this normal or did i something wrong? I enabled DL Master , Media Server and Network Place. Beyond that i have a few rules in Port Forwarding and 3 Fixed Ip´s.

I think that 475MB used of 512 are very much but help me out and tell me if this is normal.

Would it be helpful to use a swap file and if yes how and where (HDD or External USB Drive) would you recommend configuring it?

Thank you in advance.
Again? This gets asked at least once each week, usually more often. Yes, normal since Broadcom uses RAM differently. Here is the way to understand. The "high RAM used" is NOT used but cached for guicker availability and use when needed.
https://www.linuxatemyram.com/
This is what my AC86U shows now after over 2 weeks uptime.
Code:
Mem: 378852K used, 61568K free, 1192K shrd, 31428K buff, 69108K cached

Last edited:

Butterfly Bones

Very Senior Member
Network map shows me at 493 Mb used. The output from top shows the real world breakdown.
I'm sorry for the repetitive post. Should have used the search button better.

Thank you for the reply, going to read it.
Sorry to sound hard. This forum recommends searching before posting, that is always good.

For swap or any other of the invaluable scripts available from SNB, see this step by step to install and setup the wonderous AMTM from thelonelycoder compiled by L&LD, highly recommended by many!
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Last edited:

omiez

New Around Here
Network map shows me at 493 Mb used. The output from top shows the real world breakdown.

Sorry to sound hard. This forum recommends searching before posting, that is always good.

For swap or any other of the invaluable scripts available from SNB, see this step by step to install and setup the wonderous AMTM from thelonelycoder compiled by L&LD, highly recommended by many!
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421
Thank you for your help. Like i said before i am sorry for the repetitive post, forgot to use the search first, will not repeat this mistake next time.

doczenith1

Very Senior Member
Well now I think there is something wrong with my 86U because it is only using 315 MB :D (recent reboot). It was up near 475 earlier today.

kernol

Very Senior Member
Thank you for your help. Like i said before i am sorry for the repetitive post, forgot to use the search first, will not repeat this mistake next time.

Search then seek ;).
BTW - I also run AC86U and initially was concerned about high RAM usage compared to previous models used - saw the on topic threads and chilled!
However - at least part of the exceptional performance this models provides comes from its efficient caching and RAM usage abilities.

You will see from my signature that I also make extensive use of the tools provided by amtm - so plug in a suitable USB stick and at the very least, use amtm to format the USB - add a swap file [mine is 1Gb - but uses very little when needed] and the automatic disk check ... all under same amtm menu items.

The AC86U handles it all with ease :D - enjoy.