What's new

AC86U Memory question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WhiteWulf

New Around Here
So I searched the boards and found alot of threads relating to firmware upgrades, but didnt see anything particular in common with my issue. But I could have missed it.

My router always seems to be LOW on ram. Right now it has 30mb free.
Used 482MB Free 30MB Total 512MB

Is this normal ? Is there an easy way to boost it ?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am rather new to the whole tweaked router world.

Would a reset after a firmware update help that? Don't know where you're at in the process...

So I searched the boards and found alot of threads relating to firmware upgrades, but didnt see anything particular in common with my issue. But I could have missed it.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am rather new to the whole tweaked router world.
Everyone that buys an 86U is concerned about ram usage. Linux has excellent memory management. In other words this is normal.

Oh and another thing, unused ram is wasted ram...;):)

Oh and another thing, unused ram is wasted ram...;):)
THIS, exactly. This is 100% normal. The short version is, "used" memory is not the same thing as "unavailable" memory. It's more like "memory that may have some interesting bits in it that we will keep track of until we need it or something else needs that memory space."