What's new

Suspicious Memory (leak?) behaviour + damaged files problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pila

Regular Contributor
Recently I plugged an external 3TB HDD and activated Media server and Samba share on an Asus RT-AC68U. All worked well, but I noticed Asus RT-AC68U has mostly been using all of its RAM, leaving about max 30 MB free (250 MB total). Previously, I did not notice memory consumption.

At about the same time (which may or may not be coincidence), I started to get damaged larger files downloaded from the Internet. To test, I DL (open Web page with a product) large product pictures 2000 x 2000 pixels, they often get damaged and do not display properly (20-40% damaged pics). I open these pages in this shop often for years now, this shop never had such problem, so is a trusted test source.

I first noticed problem trying to download LibreElec OS for my RPi, an archive about 110 mb. This .gz constantly gets me CRC errors, I tried 2 different versions, from 5-6 different locations, allways I get CRC errors. Same behaviour is on 3 different PCs I tried. Thousands of others do not have any problem with these particular .gz archives.

The problem manifests only with larger files, small events seem not affected.

Seems like e.g. RAM somewhere creates problems. As I eliminated my PCs, I am left with a router, modem and my provider. Provider says they did not change anything recently. I am left with the router and the modem.

Tried copying some other 100mb .gz from my PC to HDD connected to the router, then unpacking it there (meaning about 1 GB WLAN traffic both ways), no problem. So, WLAN by itself is not to blame.

What puzzles me? To eliminate the LAN modem, I switched to USB 3G modem. To plug it, I added powered USB hub and plugged HDD and Modem there. All works perfectly - except multiple boots are needed for Media server and Samba share to start working - but that is the same problem as when HDD was plugged directly and previouslsy with other USB devices.

Now, with a USB modem instead of a LAN one, with both Media server and Samba share running, I get constant flat memory usage at 90 MB. Previously, while I had problems originally noticed, memory would start low, then climb up to almost maximum, and then reset back low, and repeat that cycle every few minutes.

When I test now (DL pics), seems like problem did not go away completely, but almost completely.

But, why the change in router's memory behaviour? A memory leak aimed towards LAN connection to the modem as opposed to USB modem?

The media server will scan the disk for usable media causing the OS to allocate RAM for disk buffers. Samba also caches a lot of disk I/O in RAM. So your RAM usage looks normal to me. Remember, unused RAM is wasted RAM;).

So I don't think RAM usage is the cause of your problem. If it were I would expect you to see "out of memory" errors in the syslog.

As to the real cause of your problem - I'm afraid I have no idea.

I would start by disabling all unneeded features, then re-enable them individually and note when your downloads begin to error.

Right now, you have so many questions and so many unknowns/possibilities that I hesitate to even make an ignorant guess...

OP didn't mention much about the config - what version of firmware (and whether factory or fork), what vendor/model of the USBHDD...

as Nullity suggests - break things down, and reset the router back to factory spec and only enable features needed, and then you can start adding things back in on a piece by piece basis.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!