What's new

AC86U stopped working overnight

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hytekj

Occasional Visitor
Have a AC86U running latest release build of Merlin that stopped working overnight. Moved down the street, put it in my car, called the cable company with MAC, everything worked yesterday afternoon and evening. Woke up and no traffic is passing between the modem and router. Router appears fine, I can login, access it via ethernet and WiFi, it has a public IP from cable modem, but zero internet traffic works. Stopped working in the middle of the night at 4am (no one touched it or changed any settings). I factory reset it, still does not work. Could it have failed internally over night and its just coincidence I happen to move it and have it added to my new cable internet account? Is there anything I can check/troubleshoot? I tried a different older AC68U running Merlin and it works as does plugging directly into the cable modem via usb-ethernet dongle to my computer. So strange. Thanks in advance.

I got confused what you've moved and where but I'd suggest to call the provider and check the MAC again. Sounds like they've cut you off, unless you changed something on the router setup.

I got confused what you've moved and where but I'd suggest to call the provider and check the MAC again. Sounds like they've cut you off, unless you changed something on the router setup.

I moved from one house to another, 5 minutes apart. I canceled service at the old address, registered the modem at the new address. The modem works directly connected to my computer and works with a different Asus router running Merlin. Oddly the AC86U stopped working at 4AM this morning after working yesterday. Everything seems normal on the modem and router but there is no traffic passing between the modem and router. I've tried different ethernet cables, etc. Its extremely odd.

Are you sure the ISP doesn't reject the MAC of your AC86U?
Maybe they've whitelisted your computer and the other router.
Change the WAN MAC of the AC86U to be the same as your computer and try again.

Are you sure the ISP doesn't reject the MAC of your AC86U?
Maybe they've whitelisted your computer and the other router.
Change the WAN MAC of the AC86U to be the same as your computer and try again.
Or quite often (especially with cablemodems), you can power down your modem for 5-30 minutes (the delay varies between ISPs) to make it forget the previous MAC, and accept the new one.

Or quite often (especially with cablemodems), you can power down your modem for 5-30 minutes (the delay varies between ISPs) to make it forget the previous MAC, and accept the new one.

very interesting.. i changed the MAC, it then worked without issue, i reverted back, not a new IP, and now it works. wonder what the heck happened.

ISP cut you off, by the looks of it.

my guess is because i had just moved the modem and router from a different location/account, it may have had an IP under the old account and when their systems refreshed or performed a sweep overnight, it caused some issues. by forcing the MAC change, I got a new IP, and then some how when I reverted I got another new IP, and all was well. Weird the modem worked the whole time though. I would think its the modem that gets blocked not the router but not up-to-date on how cable ISP systems work these days.