What's new

AC86u time based dual wan - is it possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m4rk0

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I am running an AC86u with rmerlin's firmware.

I'd need to set up a dual wan (wan+ethernet port) but one of the ports should be accessible only in a specified time; is it doable with some sort of scripting? I have absolutely no idea whether it is or not.

Thanks.

Anyone has a clue? I'm willing to pay by paypal the effort for the script which works

Anyone has a clue?

You should be able to simply alter the 'default' entry in the appropriate Dual-WAN routing table.

You can check the status of your Dual-WAN default routes, and you should get something like:
Code:
ip route show table wan0 | grep -E "^default|prohibit"
default via 10.88.8.1 dev eth0

ip route show table wan1 | grep -E "^default|prohibit"
default via 10.64.64.64 dev ppp0
If you manually want to test if you can block use of say the secondary Dual-WAN (wan1), then issue the following
Code:
ip route del default table wan1
ip route add prohibit default table wan1
ip route flush cache
To remove the block from the secondary Dual-WAN (wan1), then issue the following
Code:
ip route add default via $(nvram get wan1_gateway) table wan1
ip route flush cache
If the above works, then use cru (cron) to apply/remove the block at the appropriate scheduled times

Thanks for your replies.

What are the dual wan you have?

Why do you need the limited time for?

I'll try to cut it short.

I used to connect with a 4G data plan which is unlimited over night but limited to 80GB/mo during day time, ie from 8AM to 12AM. Lately I subscribed to another carrier which provides (sort of) unlimited 4G data. However I happen to transfer large quantities of files and, because I am forced by contract to keep paying the first contract for several months to come, I thought to make a good usage out of it.

You should be able to simply alter the 'default' entry in the appropriate Dual-WAN routing table.

You can check the status of your Dual-WAN default routes, and you should get something like:
Code:
ip route show table wan0 | grep -E "^default|prohibit"
default via 10.88.8.1 dev eth0

ip route show table wan1 | grep -E "^default|prohibit"
default via 10.64.64.64 dev ppp0
If you manually want to test if you can block use of say the secondary Dual-WAN (wan1), then issue the following
Code:
ip route add prohibit default table wan1
ip route flush cache
To remove the block from the secondary Dual-WAN (wan1), then issue the following
Code:
ip route add default via $(nvram get wan1_gateway) table wan1
ip route flush cache
If the above works, then use cru (cron) to apply/remove the block at the appropriate scheduled times

I am not used to this stuff - I'll google the information you provided and report back in a few days. Please keep an eye on this thread ;)

Why would you not just turn the power of the wan and the router will switch over.
Just because I have both routers installed under the rooftop and it's not practical to get there every night regardless of how much I love my internet connection :) Disconnecting LAN1 cable would be more practical but still I'd need to get a ladder and jump on it to reach the AC86u.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!