Part of the Furniture
Last Update because I am done playing with this router. I am probably going to replace it with an Aruba AP-325
I realized I have been having some weird issues with the router (ignoring commands to reboot and logging that it is ignoring the commands, ignoring manual updates, ect.) so I went through a long long LOOOOOOOOOOOOOng process of recovering stock firmware using the asus recovery tool and then manually reflashing merlinwrt over the newest asuswrt firmware. Now everything is working WITH flow cache and runner enabled. I am starting to think my router got corrupted somehow during the flash from 386.9 to 386.10 (or maybe older than that) and I just never noticed because I wasn't looking hard enough until I started this little VLAN project. I haven't noticed some of the quarks I was noticing before so far, so hopefully that fixed it.
386.9 and 386.10 have some issues with NVRAM space. Not as severe on your router but still a concern. If it becomes unstable again, you may want to stick with 386.7_2. Or maybe like you said it just was in need of a reset anyway, seems to be mandatory with 386.9 and 10.