What's new

Ac86u vs ax86u vs ax86u pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

just allowing it to not slow down your regular internet when VPN is in use

Before that fix nothing could exceed the WAN-LAN limited throughput including the WireGuard server/client itself.

It has newer architecture and 4 cores instead of 2.

OpenVPN uses single core. Expect similar to your routers performance. AX86U has advantage with >1 OpenVPN connections.

Source?

Good, but let's see when it will become available to our devices.

What's the idea behind this speedy VPN connection on a home router?

@Tech9 thnx bro, pfsense is really difficult to maintain with vpn routing. Even the power consumption is like whoehoe... Biggest issues now is that the gt or the 86u don't manage to keep up with my network. +/- 40 devices.
So choice is a new router I have multiple ax devices. But they sell the pro version pretty cheap. And the gt is giving me some issues like no Gui loading and stuff. Iam a Merlin junkie really like the works. And i believe Asus will enable hw offloading with wire guard. And that will not be enabled on the ac devices.
the new intel 12 th gen n100 pro only consumes 5w with performance the same as skylake 6700 ,can remember the name but i seen a mini pc n100 with 2 x 2.5 gz ethernet port the other day these will be great for a home router

@ElmerFudd the ax86u pro is the same as gt-6000 and ax88u pro regarding chipset and cpu. So why would that bring me more?

For me, the answer is simple, the ax86u is not wall mountable from the factory and has one less multi gig port, it does not support 4*4 2.4ghz, and fourth antenna is internal. Also, recent benchmarks on show ax88u has a edge on even the gt-6000. An ax86u will not mount in my network closet without added hassle.

The ax88u pro is a better router hands down.

See reviews at:

https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax88u-pro-review/

Last edited:
This means multi-threaded OpenVPN won't come to home routers any time soon.

I have been checking 2 weeks it never dropped lower the 229.. i seen the s model go that low, even a bit lower

I have been checking 2 weeks it never dropped lower the 229.. i seen the s model go that low, even a bit lower
1680453068572.png

I actually made a screenshot because it was quite ridiculous seeing the old model €80 more expensive as the newer version :)

The old 86S was on sale for €125 - €140. The newer version has been more expensive (€160) on sale, but I actually do not know the difference.

Is the new S like the Pro in terms of hardware? But just fewer cores and memory?

There is no new S model on Asus website. The SKU is 90IG05F0 with different last digits on different web sites. Perhaps region specifics.