What's new

AC86U Wan Port only 100 Mbps / WAN DHCP Does Not Function Correctly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's possible that the WAN socket is physically damaged. Try looking for dirty, broken or bent contacts inside the socket. The socket may also not be properly soldered to the PCB. Can you RMA the unit?

I'm having the same issue. I'm using AX88U as an AiMesh router and AC86U as a node. Noticed that node connected wirelessly even though it is connected by wire. I activated Ethernet Backhaul Mode to swap it completely to a wired connection and it shows 100MB. Did a bunch of tests with swapping cables and it still was showing only 100MB. I tried to connect directly to the WAN port and the laptop was showing that the connection speed is still 100MB. Is there any way to confirm that port is dead?

ethctl <interface> media-type [option] [port <sub_port#> ]
[option]: auto - auto select
2500FD - 2500Mb, Full Duplex
1000FD - 1000Mb, Full Duplex
1000HD - 1000Mb, Half Duplex
100FD - 100Mb, Full Duplex
100HD - 100Mb, Half Duplex
10FD - 10Mb, Full Duplex
10HD - 10Mb, Half Duplex

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue. I'm using AX88U as an AiMesh router and AC86U as a node. Noticed that node connected wirelessly even though it is connected by wire. I activated Ethernet Backhaul Mode to swap it completely to a wired connection and it shows 100MB. Did a bunch of tests with swapping cables and it still was showing only 100MB. I tried to connect directly to the WAN port and the laptop was showing that the connection speed is still 100MB. Is there any way to confirm that port is dead?
So your issue is that a AC86U Ethernet port doesn’t achieve a 1 Gbps connection, correct?
  • What is the Cat value written on the Ethernet cable?
  • What is the other end of the Ethernet cable plugged into?
  • What is the firmware level of the AC86U?

So your issue is that a AC86U Ethernet port doesn’t achieve a 1 Gbps connection, correct?
  • What is the Cat value written on the Ethernet cable?
  • What is the other end of the Ethernet cable plugged into?
  • What is the firmware level of the AC86U?
WAN port of AC86U connects only at 100MB.

I have CAT6 dropped around the house.
Another end of the cable is connected to the LAN port on AX88U (that is 1G).
FW is 386.2_6

WAN port of AC86U connects only at 100MB.

I have CAT6 dropped around the house.
Another end of the cable is connected to the LAN port on AX88U (that is 1G).
FW is 386.2_6
Okay, you're cascading the AC86U downstream from the AX88U using a single cable with no hubs or other connection points between.

Port speed is negotiated between devices and I believe they should be identical at each end. In my opinion, the AC86U may have a physical port issue.