What's new

AC87 Dual Wan load balancing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tului

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone gotten any experience using any method of this? Port, torrents only on one link, round robin, etc. Just curious, I have someone who doesn't use their cable modem and I've got 50Mbps sitting idle. It's a shame you cant bond them.

Has anyone gotten any experience using any method of this? Port, torrents only on one link, round robin, etc. Just curious, I have someone who doesn't use their cable modem and I've got 50Mbps sitting idle. It's a shame you cant bond them.

I use the dual WAN failover function with watchdog enabled on the 68U. Using the watchdog feature encounters known bugs.

I've heard, though, that the load balancing works OK. But it does so via a round robin (or per stream) fashion. In order to bond two or more circuits and employ per-packet load sharing (as you could do with telephony circuits such as T1's, DS3's, OC3's, etc), you need circuits of the same type and the remote end as to be set to the same configuration as well. This is impossible to do when using two different types of internet connections from two different providers.

And unless the download and upload capacities of the two connections are similar, you might not get the results you desire. Let's say you have one connection with 100 mb/s download and the other 50. Half your connections are going to downloading at 100 mb/s and the other half at 50. Now, if you plan maxing out these two internet connections 24/7, that may make sense. But in most cases, you're better off using the 100 mb/s connection by itself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!