What's new

AC87U gaming problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteveBUK

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an 87U and tit works well usually, excluding 5ghz! However, my son now has a Playstation 4 and when online gaming, every hour or so, it causes the internet to stop working for all users and he disconnects from the PSN. The outage is about 20 seconds at the most and then the internet works again. During the outage the router is accessible and reports no issues and the log shows no disconnects. I've also spoken to my ISP who sees it never drop. The Xbox is fine and everything is fine until he tries to plan online.

I've factory reset, ran merlin FW, latest official etc and nothing I have done has fixed it. It is not in the dmx, just on the lan with upnp.

Anyone any ideas before I replace it? Was looking at a Netgear 7500 as a potential alternative.

Thanks guys.

Regards,
Steve

Thats werid that you say it disconnects every so offen. I have 2 ps4's, 2 ps3' a gaming pc and all the other devices. I have never had a issue like that, i have noticed with the new fw that finally QOS is working for me. Are you in te states or another country?

Thanks for the reply, I'm in the UK. The router is connected to my ISP's fibre modem. It's really weird as the router never skips a beat unless someone plays online with the PlayStation. I've tried wireless and Ethernet.

The Logs never show any disconnect and the isp confirmed my router has not disconnected from their modem. The router is also fully accessible during the short outage. It is just the internet fails to respond to any clients but then is fine after about 20 seconds. Just long enough for the ps4 to disconnect, interestingly the Xbox Just lags and carried on, do more fault tolerant!

I'm not convinced it's my end, I guess the isp Modem could be the issue but I'm not sure I'll prove that until I try another router. Even if the issue continues with a new router I'm not sure how I'll convince my isp when it's such a short infrequent outage.

Any advice greatfully received!

Thanks
Steve

Run a neverending ping command to google or first hop. If this never registers any discarded packets during these outages, then your ISP is not to blame.

Check all the easy things like cables.

I am thinking there is a misconfigured device or maybe faulty hardware.

How much load are you putting on the Asus? Bandwidth? Any P2P file-sharing? What protocol between the modem & Asus router?

If you tried to tweak any configs, try to default them.

Turn off beamforming altogether for both radios and this will fix your issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I've tried at R8000 from Netgear and the PS4 issue is gone. However, the two XBOX ones constantly lag and disconnect in games. They also suffer massive ping loss. To be honest It seems to be some device issue.

If I switch back to the AC87 the XBOX ones are fine but the PS4 issue comes back. I've also noted this causes the XBOX to disconnect too sometimes.

One thing I've noticed on both routers is that box XBOX ones always have DUP! (Duplicate packets) when pinging on either router.

Any ideas guys?

I've no idea to be honest as it is from the ISP and has their branding and I have no access to it.
I've messed around some more and am not sure if the PS4 is just a red herring or just makes it worse, as this morning I was pinging first hop with the PS4 off and noticed packet loss identical to when I get it with the PS4.

It happens a few times per hour and during these outages the LAN is rock solid. It's just the WAN. Could it be the ISP modem? I've tried two routers. Can the ISP run a ping to me to see if it fails at the modem?

Here is an example:

64 bytes from 10.55.212.82: icmp_seq=320 ttl=254 time=0.771 ms
64 bytes from 10.55.212.82: icmp_seq=321 ttl=254 time=0.994 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 322
Request timeout for icmp_seq 323
Request timeout for icmp_seq 324
Request timeout for icmp_seq 325
Request timeout for icmp_seq 326
Request timeout for icmp_seq 327
Request timeout for icmp_seq 328
Request timeout for icmp_seq 329
Request timeout for icmp_seq 330
Request timeout for icmp_seq 331
Request timeout for icmp_seq 332
Request timeout for icmp_seq 333
Request timeout for icmp_seq 334
Request timeout for icmp_seq 335
Request timeout for icmp_seq 336
Request timeout for icmp_seq 337
Request timeout for icmp_seq 338
Request timeout for icmp_seq 339
Request timeout for icmp_seq 340
64 bytes from 10.55.212.82: icmp_seq=341 ttl=254 time=1.200 ms
64 bytes from 10.55.212.82: icmp_seq=342 ttl=254 time=1.055 ms
64 bytes from 10.55.212.82: icmp_seq=343 ttl=254 time=0.733 ms

Thanks
Steve

Who is your isp provider.
And are 100% sure it's a modem and not a modem and router in one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!