What's new

AC87U VPN Speed - Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bp418220

New Around Here
Hi - total newbie here so please, bear with me.

After setting up the 87U with the stock firmware out of the box (3.0.0.4.378_5134) the connection speed is severely restricted if I use the VPN option, when compared to logging on to the VPN via the software they issue for use on the computer. My VPN provider is privateinternetaccess.

For example, I have a 152 meg connection - when I connect to the east coast usa server via the VPN on the computer using their software, my download speed is approx 132 meg.

However, when using the VPN option for the same server on the router - my download speeds were reduced to 5 meg via PPTP or 60 meg via L2TP. I have not tried the openvpn option yet.

My question is am I missing something with regards to setting the VPN connection up correctly, or would a firmware update to the latest merlin release or dd-wrt help to solve this issue? With regards to the settings currently available under the VPN tab, the only variable is the PPTP options - where the options are "Auto / No Encryption / MPPE40 / MPPE128" and the connection only gets established if MPPE128 is selected.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but ive only just got my head around these VPN's and am not clued up on the finer points of them

thanks

Unless you use a computer with much more power than the RT-AC87U cpu offers, that is about as good as you can expect.

Unless there is a faster server you can connect to, but even then, you won't be hitting your ISP speeds anytime soon or ever with this or any other consumer router.

Hi

Thanks for the reply - but i had a go and put merlins latest firmware on as i wanted to have a go of the openvpn features on there. Ha, needless to say they wont work no matter what i do with them - it starts running but then web pages just say resolving host when trying to load, so more reading around that i reckon.........

However, I tried the speed test again when connected to an american server from the uk via L2TP and the download speed is a much better 140 meg :). Not sure if its the firmware or that the servers were just playing up last night for the speed tests?

thanks