What's new

AC88U 384.14_2 router locking up every 10 days

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Morac

I had been running 384.14 for over a month of my AC88U. I installed 384.14_2 when it came out on Jan 1st. I left on a trip overseas on Jan 9 for a few weeks. On Jan 11 the router stopped responding to pings and all my home devices reported as being offline. I had someone drive 45 minutes to my house to power my router off and on which got things working. Today, Jan 21, the router locked up again.

I have to get the same person to drive to my house again to reset the router again. Edit: the person told me he doesn’t have time to reset it again so now everything will be offline for a week.

That’s every 10 days. What’s going on?

Last edited:
Not sure what the real issue is.

But, with a spare USB drive and amtm, you can set a reboot schedule as you need.

Not to mention that you can also set a swap file for the router too that may also help stability and possibly, performance too.

It turned out the second time my Internet must have just been down since everything is working now. That or the router recovered on its own. It’s still odd that it locked up the first time.

It turned out the second time my Internet must have just been down since everything is working now. That or the router recovered on its own. It’s still odd that it locked up the first time.
Did you do a factory reset after the download . That may help

Would you happen to be using the DPI stats? That would most likely explain it. I've dealt with this issue across several models with merlin firmware anyway. Right now my AC86u I can no longer access the GUI until I reboot

I had been running 384.14 for over a month of my AC88U. I installed 384.14_2 when it came out on Jan 1st. I left on a trip overseas on Jan 9 for a few weeks. On Jan 11 the router stopped responding to pings and all my home devices reported as being offline. I had someone drive 45 minutes to my house to power my router off and on which got things working. Today, Jan 21, the router locked up again.

I have to get the same person to drive to my house again to reset the router again. Edit: the person told me he doesn’t have time to reset it again so now everything will be offline for a week.

That’s every 10 days. What’s going on?

When Asus released version 3.0.0.4.384.81219, my RT-AC5300 locked up after 10 days. I did a factory reset and then upgraded to Merlin 384.14_2. Still locks up after 10 days. I have to restart the router when it happens. May have to roll back to an earlier version once again.

When Asus released version 3.0.0.4.384.81219, my RT-AC5300 locked up after 10 days. I did a factory reset and then upgraded to Merlin 384.14_2. Still locks up after 10 days. I have to restart the router when it happens. May have to roll back to an earlier version once again.

I ran into this too with the AC86U and 384.14_2 over this past week (the lockups were daily). I downgraded to 384.13 yesterday + factory reset and re-configured everything and will see.

EDIT: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-and-384-14_2-some-wireless-issues.61303/ may be related (cc: @mrboonmee)

This is an old thread, but I’ve had my router lock up a few more times since then. It did so Oct 1, 2020, Oct 20, 2020, Dec 7, 2020, Feb 2, 2021 and Feb 4, 2021.

After the Feb 4 one (on Merlin 386.1), I decided to factory reset and set up from scratch. After that I couldn’t upgrade to 386.1_2 and ended up having to do a recovery update.

Since then things had been good. I updated to 386.2, 386.2_2, 386.2_4 and 386.2_6 without issue and didn’t have lockup’s. That is until today. With 41 days of uptime, LAN/WAN traffic just stopped while I was streaming Netflix. Lights were blinking on the router, but no traffic could reach it. I had to power cycle the router. Again nothing in the logs.

Looking back at my upgrade cycle, I realize i haven’t had more than 41 days of uptime since the last lockup.

Any idea why this is happening?