What's new

AC88U and AC3000 Aimesh Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T1berious

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I've got an AC88U and 3 x AC3000 running firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_45898. I've recently been having no end of problems with the nodes dropping off the network, losing performance (80%) and most recently not handing out DHCP leases!

I'm actually at the point where the pain of re adding the nodes (I think I've done this at least 3 times) is so great I figured I'd get some help from the community :)

Where am I going wrong?

Surely you should be able to reboot your router without your aimesh needing to be rebuilt? (I did move all the AC3000 nodes to within a meter of the Router only to be met with node connection failures) The Only way I could consistently add the nodes was via the WAN port and a RJ45 during setup.

I don't know what to do. half tempted to just set them up as repeaters?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

T1b

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I've got an AC88U and 3 x AC3000 running firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_45898. I've recently been having no end of problems with the nodes dropping off the network, losing performance (80%) and most recently not handing out DHCP leases!

I'm actually at the point where the pain of re adding the nodes (I think I've done this at least 3 times) is so great I figured I'd get some help from the community :)

Where am I going wrong?

Surely you should be able to reboot your router without your aimesh needing to be rebuilt? (I did move all the AC3000 nodes to within a meter of the Router only to be met with node connection failures) The Only way I could consistently add the nodes was via the WAN port and a RJ45 during setup.

I don't know what to do. half tempted to just set them up as repeaters?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

T1b

I can't find an AC3000?

Are all nodes wireless... sounds like it?

Maybe the AC88U is failing if it worked and is now not working... have you tried removing the AC88U?

Is four APs too much WiFi for your coverage area?

OE

The AC3000 is also known as ZenWiFi CT8.

Its a pretty big house and its solid brick.

The AC88U is running AiMesh 2.0 firmware.

The CT8 AiMesh 2.0 firmware 3.0.0.4.386.45934 was just released 5 days ago. What firmware are you running on the CT8s? Have you had this network working and stable yet or are you still commissioning it?

Do you reset the firmware before configuring it?

How many levels and sq. ft. per level is the house?

OE

I thought the aimesh node does an update to match the version of the parent node? As part of its setup?

So as part of the setup, I reset it after it restarts by holding down the reset for around 10 - 15 seconds. At this point its flashing yellow and wait until its solid blue and ready to add.

The CT8 \ ZenWifi Node is on 3.0.0.4.386_45934

I thought the aimesh node does an update to match the version of the parent node? As part of its setup?

No, different models can have different firmware. If you had AiMesh 2.0 firmware on the root node and AiMesh 1.0 firmware on a remote node, then that could be a problem since those firmware are not similar.

So as part of the setup, I reset it after it restarts by holding down the reset for around 10 - 15 seconds. At this point its flashing yellow and wait until its solid blue and ready to add.

Yes, the reset button will reset the unit's firmware to its default values, ready to add to the AiMesh. How about the AC88U... has it been reset recently and configured from scratch?

The CT8 \ ZenWifi Node is on 3.0.0.4.386_45934

OK, that's the AiMesh 2.0 firmware released 5 days ago... presumably you reset that firmware before adding the nodes.

Have you had this network working and stable yet or are you still commissioning it? If it was working and suddenly started having issues, then you would look for a new firmware conflict, failing hardware, or new WiFi interference. If you suspect the AC88U router hardware, you could setup the network without it.

Consider using a WiFi Analyzer app to 'see' your WiFi signals... how much they overlap around the house and if any are unstable, flapping up and down for some reason.

OE

It was OK a few days ago. Getting fairly high ping and mbps (<20ms and >250mps) previously and then a lot of instability.

So occasionally, I'll restart my router. The nodes used to be re attached after 15 - 30 minutes. Now? The Router restarts and they are dropped for good and I have to re add them.

I think at the weekend I'll try as you suggest and take the router out of the equation and just use CT8's one as primary and the others as nodes for the aimesh.

Hopefully the stability will improve. Or at the very least clients can get an IP address......

Cheers for the advice

T1b

It was OK a few days ago. Getting fairly high ping and mbps (<20ms and >250mps) previously and then a lot of instability.

So occasionally, I'll restart my router. The nodes used to be re attached after 15 - 30 minutes. Now? The Router restarts and they are dropped for good and I have to re add them.

I think at the weekend I'll try as you suggest and take the router out of the equation and just use CT8's one as primary and the others as nodes for the aimesh.

Hopefully the stability will improve. Or at the very least clients can get an IP address......

Cheers for the advice

T1b

Build it up one piece at a time and allow some user time to know its stable and working before adding more. In this way you will have a better chance of isolating an issue, and otherwise will establish confidence in what is built before an issue presents.

For example, if your clients are not connecting and working well with one router, there is no point in adding nodes.

And don't underestimate radio coverage... too much radio is why the FCC exists to manage the public airwaves.

OE

Last edited:
Using the reset button or the GUI Reset to Factory Defaults can sometimes not work. The best way to reset an Asus router is to do a Hard Factory Reset. The method for reset differs between router models. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/

OK, I did a factory reset on ALL the CT8 nodes and used one of them as the main router.

Massive improvement, also I've been able to restart the Main router (CT8) and the secondary CT8's join up no issues after a restart.

I'm also seeing better bandwidth (19ms ping and >380mbps).

Absolutely no DHCP issues.

I have done a factory reset on the AC88U but to be honest, I'm happy with the stability.

Any Thoughts?

Cheers again for the feedback.

T1b

OK, I did a factory reset on ALL the CT8 nodes and used one of them as the main router.

Massive improvement, also I've been able to restart the Main router (CT8) and the secondary CT8's join up no issues after a restart.

I'm also seeing better bandwidth (19ms ping and >380mbps).

Absolutely no DHCP issues.

I have done a factory reset on the AC88U but to be honest, I'm happy with the stability.

Any Thoughts?

Cheers again for the feedback.

T1b

Assess your WiFi coverage and node placement for 5 GHz signal overlap... not too close, not too far, and signal where you need it. Make adjustments gradually to give the system time to settle. If everything is covered, you and your neighbors are better off with less APs and all similar nodes.

Meanwhile, recommission the AC88U for backup use... and you may discover it has an issue. If you decide to use it, you'll be better prepared to recognize bad behavior the minute it presents and will stop then and consider what to do. Radio is hard!

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!