What's new

Access point or router and switch off routing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

argint

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

Well, Im lost! Theres just so much out there to chose from!

We need access points to compliment our wired set-up. I originally had looked at the netgear range-max access point but the latest model has bad reviews for reliability on Amazon.

Would we be better to spend a bit extra and purchase good routers, and switch of fthe routing, using them as access points?

The qualities I want for the access points are:

- Good range (doesnt need to be spectacular)
- Doesnt need to be n mode, g is fine
- Reliable, doesnt drop out all the time
- Not too expensive.
- just works well!!

Basically id like something that has a good reputation out there for - just working and not being a pain in the proverbial!

We will get 2 or three of whatever we choose, depending on the coverage we get.

I dont really want to get this wrong, so my question would be:

Is there any good recommendations for "just work" access points?

ANy pinters, gladly welcome!

Regards

Alan

As much as I hate to say it, if you want a reliable, no-futzing AP, Cisco Aironet is probably the way to go. Since you want G only, you might be able to pick up something cheap.

You might also look at Meraki stuff. Reasonably priced for business-class stuff and it can do mesh and Enterprise-grade authentication.

Many thanks for your prompt replt Tim, its always appreciated. This is a great site!

Unfortunately, those items are way out of our budget!!

I originally looked at the netgear WPN802 rangemax. But our supplier could only source the later model, the WN802T-200. I know amzon isnt the best for insightful reviews, but I was reading a lot that it had reliability problems.

The older version, the WPN802, seemed to fair better, and i was going to go with that! Then i built my hopes up over the D-Link DAP-1522 Bridge / Access Point. But your own review here didnt warm me to it!!

Has anyone experience of the WPN802? If I felt it was reliable and just sat there, doing its bit as an access point Id maybe go for it.

Many thanks

Alan

Unfortunately, cheap and reliable generally don't go together.

Is this a home or business application? What are you using now?

Hi Tim,

Well, I have just installed wired connections for the majority of people. Procurves switches and a pfsense box. Of course - this works like a dream.

We have beed using a silly urrobotics router with a range extender and a bridge to hack together our previous business system, and my life was a misery.

I managed to convince the powers that be that wired was far more preferrable for the type of work we are doing.

And for convenience, sure, I said, you can have a couple of wireless access points for when we run out of cables, or people need to roam around.

SO now, i want reliable access points. Maybe one in each main room, on seperate channels. Hence I looked at the rangemax option. It wouldnt be used heavily and would only have a few connections in general.

This is why i imagined the rangemax would suffice for the job.

CHeers

Alan

You can certainly try the WPN802. But since you want cheap, why not just go with the WG602? I doubt you'd see much of a range difference.

You can also convert any wireless router into an AP to get a wider selection and take advantage of sales.
How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point

I think you'll find multiple APs, connected into your LAN to be a much more reliable setup than the previous bridge/extender setup.

Want a reliable, yet inexpensive access point?
Pickup a Linksys model that supports being flashed with a 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato.

Common models were the wrt54gl, some newer "N" models support it also. It's not hard to flash with this firmware, pretty much like updating any stock firmware.

What you get with these 3rd party firmwares? Quite a few fancy features, much of which most people will never use...BUT..the important thing, stability. I've run it over the years on various wrt54g versions, a gl, and currently on a wrt150N. Flash the router, configure as an access point (because I run a main router..PFSense)...once it's put into place, I don't have to reboot it. I've been running mine without reboot since I put it in place probably last spring. I often have 3-4 laptops in the house pulling from it at a time, a 3 story house too!

Last winter I did a super budget wireless system at a nursing home client using these, with 9 db hi gain antennas on them, I deployed 8 or 10 of 'em. Work very well, gotta admit.