What's new

Access WAN modem behind switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alexander Scherdo

New Around Here
Hi,

is it possible to have the WAN modem connected to a switch which is connected to Asus router (RT-AC87U)?
Modem<->switch<->Router
Other devices connected to the switch should be able to connect to the internet also.

The cable modem has a static IP of 192.168.100.1 my routers network is 192.168.0.x (255.255.255.0).

If this is possible, how should the router setup be for WAN?

Best regards
Alex

The easiest way to do this is to connect your WAN Modem in bridge mode (as far as I guess it should be already in that mode because of the static IP you wrote, my ISP's router gets that IP when I turn on bridge mode on it) and connect one cable to the WAN port (blue) of the RT-AC87U. Then connect another cable from the switch (yellow ports) of the RT-AC87U to the switch and then all the devices you connect to the switch will work :D

maybe I should state the reason why I ask. I like to have the router in another place than my modem and a Raspberry PI. SO ONe wire to modem &RPI from router.

Your devices (Raspberry Pi?) connected to the switch would not benefit from the extra protection of being behind the router's firewall.

maybe I should state the reason why I ask. I like to have the router in another place than my modem and a Raspberry PI. SO ONe wire to modem &RPI from router.
Good man! As Merlin says,"Without a firewall = everything running ..... would be open to the WAN, ... "