What's new

Actiontec ECB2500 and Verizon FIOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azazel1024

Very Senior Member
Not really a question, but more of a "if anyone needs answers". I did a lot of searching and I could find very little info on using an Actiontec ECB2500 as a LAN MoCA bridge for Verizon FIOS. TL;DR, it works great.

Shortly after moving in to my new house I decided to ditch my Actiontec router from routing duties, so I ran a Cat5e from my ONT across my house (thank goodness for a nice crawl space leading to my basement) and plugged in my own router and did the Verizon FIOS telephone dance to get my ONT changed over from Coax WAN to Ethernet WAN and then placed my Actiontec router in bridge mode.

This was a little less than ideal, first off because I've had to reboot the router/bridge twice in the last 14 months since I did this because it stopped bridging traffic, but its also a pain to setup bridging if I needed to change things around for some crazy reason.

To top it off, the old Actiontec router burns 11.5w...more than double my Netgear 3500Lv1 that I am using as a router (which uses 4.5w).

So to both simplify management and save some electricity I looked at and got an Actiontec ECB2500. It was plug and play. Screw in the coax to the LAN coax port on the ECB2500, plug in the ethernet port to my switch and plug it in to power. Wait about 15s and it boots fully and is bridging. Wait another 15-30s and my STB actually connects through it and I have guide information and VOD again (it might be that it takes the bridge a bit after it has booted fully to determine what channel to operate on, or it could be the STB taking a minute to realize it has a connection again).

Total power used, 3.5w.

So it isn't much, but considering the long term nature of the equipment use (probably until I cut the cord, or Verizon changes something drastically...like using STBs that have enabled ethernet LAN ports), that's $9-10 per year at my current electricity rates, which pays for the cost of the bridge in about 4.5 years. Plus feeling a smidge better about the environment.

It also means I can toss the router at verizon so when my contract is up the December there can't be any chance they decide to levy that $5 a month router rental fee they are starting to stick new customers with. Which if they do...the bridge saves it's own cost in less than a year.

Anyway, no management needed, no configuration, just plug and go.

Just to be clear though, I am using it as a LAN MoCA bridge. I don't think these will work as a WAN MoCA bridge.